• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is your favorite "go-to recipe" for a quick meal when you are pressed for time or just don't feel like cooking?

On 8/31/2022 at 7:54 PM, Annie_H said:

a full pound of linguini, a jar of anchovies, a load of parm.

This sounds amazing. I'll have to wait for a suitable opportunity when I'm cooking just for myself and don't have to meet people afterwards. Scaled down portions-when I first read that, I thought he was eating that at a single sitting! With a glass of a crisp Italian white like a Gavi, I'd be very happy.

• Like 1

I usually look at pictures of Blue Dolphin’s food on this thread while eating a peanut buttter and fluff sandwich softened with my tears.

These sort of meals only happen to me around the holidays when I need to work and Mrs Dr Teeth takes the little teeth to visit family.  This sounds like a “poor me” statement unless you happen to be familiar with having small children.   I mention this because it means there is usually the remains of a ham in the fridge.

For me these dinners break down around 3 themes:

1) Eggs:  Omelette, ham and eggs, egg sandwich, mi goreng with fried egg

2) Pasta with oil based sauce: oil and garlic, +/- hot pepper, +/- parsley, +/- gobs of parm, +/- lemon juice, capers and inexpensive oil pack tuna.

3) Pressed cheese sandwich: pimento cheese, cheddar with lots of Branson pickle

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

• 2 weeks later...

If Ronnie is out of town and I'm starving...I have a terribly weird thing I make.  I boil a package of ramen noodles without the seasoning packet and open a jar of store bought sauce and cover it with the green can of parmesan.  I know...it's awful.  It came from when I was a kid and didn't want to take the time for spaghetti to cook lol.

Now if Ronnie is home and I'm exhausted like I seem to be all the time.  Sandwiches.  Or breakfast.  

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I know...it's awful.

Whatever works!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

If Ronnie is out of town and I'm starving...I have a terribly weird thing I make. 

Mine is San Francisco's "Joe's Special"    Fry up some ground beef, move to side of pan, wilt down some kind of greens, move to side of pan, add butter and break in an egg and scramble. Toss all together and plate.   Catsup or chili sauce or condiment of choice.   Or as is.    

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

One of my father's standards was fried spaghetti. He would put leftover spaghetti in a cast iron pan with butter on high heat and fry until it was crispy to the point of charring then scramble some eggs in with it.

I am far more refined. I use olive oil, don't burn it and usually add oregano, garlic, and maybe even some veg. If you rinse out the bowl and fork used to beat the eggs and serve it in that, then I reckon it counts as a one pan meal.

I also don't drop cigarette ashes in the pan.

• Haha 9

It's almost never bad to feed someone.