• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

@Nicolai, @sazji, @Hassouni and others, I'm trying to find some history on this. While it's being made in one form or another these days, I'd never heard of this dish growing up in Lebanon.

There's a Turkish version that I've also seen in Lebanon that appears to be eggplant chunks cooked in onion and tomato sauce, or something like that. No idea what relation it has to the eggy Tunisian version that has been made famous around the world by Israeli chefs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hassouni said:

There's a Turkish version that I've also seen in Lebanon that appears to be eggplant chunks cooked in onion and tomato sauce, or something like that. No idea what relation it has to the eggy Tunisian version that has been made famous around the world by Israeli chefs.

Turks have the menemen, which is very similar to shakshuka. 

The shakshuka probably originated from North Africa, possibly Tunisia.

Eggs with tomatoes is an easily established combination, with variations all over the world, so it's hard to know origins for sure.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

The jury still out but logical culinary history states that dishes emanated based on the resources of a country.

In which case, North Africa is closer to Spain and the Spaniards got the Tomatoes from Latin America (Aztec...etc).

So my money is on North Africa

Egypt and the Levant are Johnny come lately.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 7:14 AM, Nicolai said:

The jury still out but logical culinary history states that dishes emanated based on the resources of a country.

In which case, North Africa is closer to Spain and the Spaniards got the Tomatoes from Latin America (Aztec...etc).

So my money is on North Africa

Egypt and the Levant are Johnny come lately.

There's a similar Spanish dish apparently.

https://www.tasteatlas.com/huevos-a-la-flamenca