• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Least expensive way to start adding color to molded chocolates?

jrshaul

I just picked up a set of polycarbonate molds to make some more attractive chocolates. I dimly recall the existence of commercially prepared aerosol cans of pigmented cocoa butter, but they appear to be long gone - without breaking the bank, what's the best way to add a few shades of primary colors to my bonbons?

How about some primary colour powders and melted cocoa butter with an immersion blender. Or perhaps a package of Power Flowers and some melted cocoa butter?

Not primary colors, but ... use contrasting shades of chocolate to add interest - pipe or sponge decoration in white, blond, or ruby chocolate before making the shells with dark, or try marbling two types of chocolate together.  Or use available ingredients like bits of green pistachios or brightly colored freeze dried fruits.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

How about some primary colour powders and melted cocoa butter with an immersion blender. Or perhaps a package of Power Flowers and some melted cocoa butter?

I can't find any that aren't $25-$35 a unit - I'm surprised there's no smaller packaging. That said, while I looking for it, I found Pastry Depot sells Chef Rubber tinted cocoa butter in smaller quantities. $10.50USD for 50 grams does sting a bit.

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

Not primary colors, but ... use contrasting shades of chocolate to add interest - pipe or sponge decoration in white, blond, or ruby chocolate before making the shells with dark, or try marbling two types of chocolate together.  Or use available ingredients like bits of green pistachios or brightly colored freeze dried fruits.

Not a bad idea. Unfortunately, I only have one kind of chocolate at present. Now that's a black friday sale I'd get in on...

Those smaller bottles of colored cocoa butter go a lot farther than they look like they will. But if your only chocolate is dark, you're gonna want to make sure one of those bottles is white or get your hands on some white chocolate for backing if you really want bold colors to show. As far as $$$ goes, Kerry has pretty much shown you the least expensive options for getting a variety of colors. There are no options I've found that qualify as actually being cheap. I'm with pastrygirl on the contrasts using different chocolates. I have a decent variety of colored cocoa butters and a couple airbrushes... none of which see a whole lot of use. And it has the added benefit of you then have different chocolates to work with for shells and fillings as well.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.