• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
pastrygirl

flavored cocoa butter colors

Posted (edited)

This looks interesting - I know some of us have lamented the lack of flavor or off flavors of additives to colored cocoa butter - anyone seen or tried these?  Looks like they can be used either to mix into chocolate as a fat-based flavor or to decorate molds as usual with colored CB ...  More expensive than Valrhona Inspiration or regular colored CB, I wonder how they compare in flavor intensity, the Valrhonas I've tried were fairly intense.  I also wonder what flavors brown, black, and amber are ... https://www.pcb-creation.com/pure-emotion-colour-by-pcb-creation/?lang=en

image002.thumb.jpg.efeb40302e53d232490325a2d8ba7fb2.jpg

Edited to add: the black/ brown flavors are chocolate, of course! 🙃

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 2

Are you sure these are flavored and those colors aren't just creatively named? Or maybe I'm just reading things wrong, but I don't see any indication of the extra ingredients that would flavor them, It just says no preservatives, no added flavors and no added colors. 

I hate how they market this stuff. "Richer in pectin and natural fruit sugars, blah blah is less brittle". Yes, that's because you've added fruit powder to the cocoa butter. It's not pure cocoa butter any more. "No added colours" ... wtf? cocoa butter isn't red and orange and black naturally, so clearly there ARE added colours. What they mean is something like "no added things that you might perceive as nasty like titanium dioxide, don't worry it's all fruit based"

I don't see the point of flavouring the cocoa butter, to me cocoa butter is purely decoration, not flavour.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, minas6907 said:

Are you sure these are flavored and those colors aren't just creatively named? Or maybe I'm just reading things wrong, but I don't see any indication of the extra ingredients that would flavor them, It just says no preservatives, no added flavors and no added colors. 

Yes, they contain freeze dried fruit powder, some have sugar and milk.  Ingredients are listed on AUI's site, here's the strawberry

1055086646_ScreenShot2019-05-20at3_59_17PM.png.e0712b1c7db76808cffae7c56b333a71.png

7 minutes ago, keychris said:

I hate how they market this stuff. "Richer in pectin and natural fruit sugars, blah blah is less brittle". Yes, that's because you've added fruit powder to the cocoa butter. It's not pure cocoa butter any more. "No added colours" ... wtf? cocoa butter isn't red and orange and black naturally, so clearly there ARE added colours. What they mean is something like "no added things that you might perceive as nasty like titanium dioxide, don't worry it's all fruit based"

I don't see the point of flavouring the cocoa butter, to me cocoa butter is purely decoration, not flavour.

I'm not sure about the pectin claim either, I thought you needed water for pectin to have effect.

But why not add flavor?  Why settle for just pretty when you can have pretty and delicious?

12 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

But why not add flavor?  Why settle for just pretty when you can have pretty and delicious?

how much do you need to add to taste it? there's literally like 0.1g of cocoa butter on the outside of a bonbon, so how much flavouring does PCB have to add to that to get it to a level you can actively taste? I just feel that the amount you need to add so that you can taste it effectively is rendering it to "not cocoa butter" in my head.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, keychris said:

how much do you need to add to taste it? there's literally like 0.1g of cocoa butter on the outside of a bonbon, so how much flavouring does PCB have to add to that to get it to a level you can actively taste? I just feel that the amount you need to add so that you can taste it effectively is rendering it to "not cocoa butter" in my head.

I don't know.  It would have to be pretty intense to get flavor from a thin layer of decoration.  On one hand, freeze dried fruit can pack a punch, on the other, they can't be adding so much that the product is too thick.  They're selling it as cocoa butter, not couverture so I'd expect it to be very fluid.  The PCB Creations site also shows it mixed with I'm guessing white chocolate in various dosages.  Here is their brochure https://www.calameo.com/books/005802807fd1cdaab6c9b

See if AUI will give you a sample of one.  My rep has been generous with samples when I've asked so if you strike with  yours, I can ask mine.....

• Like 1

Whoa so isn't that another version of the Valrhona Inspiration line?
Also I would much much rather use a natural color additive over titanium dioxide. Inn fact, titanium oxide is why I don't use colored cocoa butter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DJ Silverchild said:

Whoa so isn't that another version of the Valrhona Inspiration line?

Sounds like the same concept of freeze dried fruit blended into cocoa butter, but this must be more liquid if they're recommending it for decoration rather than molding. 

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By arzoo
      I liked this platform because here you can solve your queries with people.  As I love cooking so here, you meet like-minded people who help you to raise a bit more.
    • By eglies
      Hello everyone!

Id like your advise about freezing bonbons. 

Lets say i would start to freeze my bonbons now in the summer for Christmas. Would they last for such an extended period of time?
      Also using natural colouring, would the colour remain as good when i open them up after a couple of months?

Would be great to hear your thoughts and experiences on the matter  
      Thank you!

• By eglies
      Hey guys!

Ive been having some difficulty with Valhrona Milk 38%. It doesn't seem to temper like any other milk chocolate. 
      I melt the chocolate to 45C and then using the seeding technique i drop the temp down to 30C. 
      When at 30C it seems tempered but after a few minutes i start to see bad tempering results. 

Is there something in particular about this chocolate that i should know about?
    • By Galchic
      Hello, folks, thanks for reading.

My husband thinks, I should start selling my popcorn seasonings (which I make for my family), it’s a good product. But I'm not sure if it’s interesting to other people... So, what do you think, guys?

Our story: 
      We’ve bought an air popper machine, but popcorn came out pretty tasteless. Then, we’ve bought different “popcorn seasoning” mixes... But it always ends with all the seasoning at the bottom of the bowl. Then, we've added butter, oil and so on before seasoning...  we got soggy, chewy popcorn. Lot’s of disappointments…

When we almost gave up… the magic happened! I figured out the way to make seasonings that:
      Stick to popcorn, but not sticky to fingers (or T-shirt  , Easy to apply, May be pre cooked in bulk and stored… And popcorn appears crunchy, tasty, thoroughly covered with seasoning.  
      Sounds good, yep? Now, when I want to treat myself  - I only need 2 mins to turn tasteless popped popcorn to a real treat.  
      The only moment - it request 1 extra effort: after you toss it over popcorn, you need to microwave it for 1 min, and stir after.

So, I was wondering, if you like popcorn like myself - would this seasoning be interesting for you to purchase? Are you ready for a little extra work (microwave & stir) in the goal to flavor popcorn, or it feels too much effort?

As I have no experience in manufacturing and retail, your answers would help me to make a very important decision - to dive in or not... 

Thanks in advance for your answers, it means the world to me.

• By pastrygirl
      My supplier decided that cocoa butter is now special order so I had to buy a case. And now I have an excessive amount of cocoa butter, anyone need any?  

Cacao Barry cocoa butter pistoles with a best by date of April 2021   $66 for the 3 kg tub or $22 per kg plus shipping.