• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
pastrygirl

GMOs in European chocolate

There are two local grocery stores here who I'd like to try to sell chocolate to but they have policies forbidding GMO soy,  Soy lecithin is allowed only if organic or certified non-GMO. 

I use a lot of Felchlin, some Valrhona, a little Cacao Barry. The only mention of GMOs I've found from Felchlin is this note in a brochure: GMO absence:  Felchlin fulfills current legislative requirements regarding GMO absence.  All Felchlin products comply with the Swiss Regulation and the European Council Regulation related to genetically modified organisms in food and feed.

Does anybody know what those requirements are?  Is anything European going to be GMO-free?  Or labeled above some %?

Valrhona's FAQs say their chocolates are GMO free.

Barry Callebaut FAQs give a shady answer, I read it as "not everything we use is GMO free". Here is one of the European laws they are referring to, it takes a speleologist to navigate in all those subsections.

Best thing you can do is explaining this problem to your purveyors, if they care about your money then they are required to give you these infos.

Teo

Thanks @teonzo I guess I wasn’t very thorough looking through Valrhona’s info. I had attended a Felchlin demo with Susan Notter last week and asked her; she just emailed me their statement on being non-gmo so this is looking good!  

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By eglies
      Hello everyone. 

I have been encountering a problem with my chocolate tablets. My chocolate is tempered and checked with a test but they still seem to be coming out like this. 

Any tips about this? 

• By eglies
      I have just started my own chocolaterie. We opened two weeks ago, we are only online business. It’s 15 days before Easter here. I have produced Bonbons but don’t know if it’s enough. I have budgeted for this but nobody can tell me how it will go right? I’m scared we won’t cope with last minute orders that week...
    • By tinyragebaking
      Hi everyone! 

I  lurk more often than post but I love this website! I've been dabbling in making bon bons and I wanted to ask if anybody here knew of any couverture dairy-free chocolates? One of my good friends is getting married and I would love to surprise her with some bon bons, but she has a severe allergy to caesin (so much so that if there's cross contamination with other food, she risks going to anaphylactic shock).  I'd appreciate any help or suggestions

Here's a photo of some of the stuff I've been having fun with.  I did from left to right an olive oil and thyme center, raspberry and green tea, and blueberry ginger! 

• By curls
      So, what is everyone doing for the pastry & baking side of Easter?

I'm working on the following chocolates: fruit & nut eggs, hollow bunnies, Jelly Belly filled bunnies, coconut bunnies, dragons (filled with rice krispies & chocolate), peanut butter hedgehogs, and malted milk hens. Hoping to finish my dark chocolate production today and get started on all my milk chocolate items.

My father-in-law will be baking the traditional family Easter bread a day or two before Easter. Its an enriched bread and he makes two versions -- one with raisins and one without (I prefer the one with raisins).

And I was lucky enough to spot this couple in the sale moulds stock at last year's eGullet chocolate & confections workshop in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario. These love bunnies help so very much with Easter chocolate production!  ;-)

• By eglies
      hi everyone, 

Another problem occurred with our caramel recipe for our bonbons. I had a perfect texture using my recipe for 32 cavities and when I multiplied that by 2 the caramel was a completely different texture and very runny.

Any suggestions why this happened?
      Thank you