• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

GMOs in European chocolate

There are two local grocery stores here who I'd like to try to sell chocolate to but they have policies forbidding GMO soy,  Soy lecithin is allowed only if organic or certified non-GMO. 

I use a lot of Felchlin, some Valrhona, a little Cacao Barry. The only mention of GMOs I've found from Felchlin is this note in a brochure: GMO absence:  Felchlin fulfills current legislative requirements regarding GMO absence.  All Felchlin products comply with the Swiss Regulation and the European Council Regulation related to genetically modified organisms in food and feed.

Does anybody know what those requirements are?  Is anything European going to be GMO-free?  Or labeled above some %?

I can't speak to the specific questions, but any chocolate with soy lecithin is probably at risk of being GMO.  Not withstanding the Swiss seem to be very strict:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_food_in_Europe

Personally I care more that my chocolate not be a product of slave labor.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Valrhona's FAQs say their chocolates are GMO free.

Barry Callebaut FAQs give a shady answer, I read it as "not everything we use is GMO free". Here is one of the European laws they are referring to, it takes a speleologist to navigate in all those subsections.

Best thing you can do is explaining this problem to your purveyors, if they care about your money then they are required to give you these infos.

Teo

Teo

Thanks @teonzo I guess I wasn’t very thorough looking through Valrhona’s info. I had attended a Felchlin demo with Susan Notter last week and asked her; she just emailed me their statement on being non-gmo so this is looking good!  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...