• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations for flameless candles?

Hassouni

I've been looking for flameless candles to put in the bathrooms and behind bottles on the bar - on the bar itself and on tables we'll be using real candles, but we want the flameless ones for ease of use, reduced fire risk, and to not be constantly spending money on real candles where we can avoid it.

I got some from Amazon that were well-rated, but they were a) orange b) dim and c) the flicker was extremely mechanical and fake-looking.

Does anyone have any recommendations for something a bit more realistic?

I have these at home...they're not bad, but I think you have to accept that the flicker isn't going to look exactly the same as a real candle.

The reduced fire risk is certainly worth the cost of batteries; we lived in a building with a bar on the ground floor years ago, and a fire was indeed started down there with candles.

Edited by weinoo (log)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I don't need perfectly accurate flickering...the ones I received were really mechanical, to the point of them all flickering in sync, and flickering all the way off and back on, like an ultra-slow strobe. @weinoo how do yours fare against that description?

Do you  have a floral supply near you?  Most of the venues here are forcing the use of flameless candles so a lot of florists are using them in various sizes (from the small votives to the larger pillar candles).  At least there you can buy in bulk.  I've found them at Home Goods/TJ Maxx/Marshalls so other retailers like Kohls or Target might stock them. 

12 hours ago, Hassouni said:

I don't need perfectly accurate flickering...the ones I received were really mechanical, to the point of them all flickering in sync, and flickering all the way off and back on, like an ultra-slow strobe. @weinoo how do yours fare against that description?

No, they're much more realistic than that! They're kinda cool.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 8 months later...
On 7/21/2018 at 4:52 PM, weinoo said:

No, they're much more realistic than that! They're kinda cool.

Even I have 5 candles like this. I have used them across my living room. One of those I've used just behind a Buddha statue at the corner of my living room. It's one of my favorite places to sit and meditate near it. Also, the flames of the candles are random. As in they aren't much mechanical and flicker at a random rate. This gives a realistic feeling to them. I highly recommend buying one of these. There are a lot of ways in which you can use it across your house.