• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New pastry job question!

J.Green

Hello all!

Just started a new pastry job at a newer, upper-tier restaurant.

Any tips on being more efficient, multi-tasking, working cleaner, recipe memorizing, etc?

Thanks!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, J.Green said:

Hello all!

Any tips on being more efficient, multi-tasking, working cleaner, recipe memorizing, etc?

Thanks!

Howdy! That's a tough one. You're basically asking for tips on all of the things that can't really be taught. Things you develop along the way and figure out because everybody has their own best way of doing those things. If you put 10 cooks in a room and ask them to work efficiently and cleanly (multi-tasking is an efficiency skill), you'll very likely see 10 variations on how they go about that... and they could all work equally well. And where you work can throw a wrench in all of that. Unless you've been recruited to be their top pastry person with free license to do your thing, they'll very likely have their own way of wanting things done, especially at the "upper-tier" level, and then you have to adapt your efficiency, multi-tasking skills and ability to work cleanly to how they insist you do things.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

One of the best antique books I own is a tiny pocket pastry reference by Paul Richard circa 1900. It's rare, and I wouldn't take one to work so my advice is to make your own pocket reference.  Go to an office supply store and buy a couple of those little (3¼ x 4½") blank books that look like miniature composition books and are bound on one side. (these are tougher than the spiral bound ones) Just start writing down recipes and shortcuts and temperatures. Take note of failures, so you do not repeat them. Take notes on what your boss likes/hates.

Being clean starts with not leaning. Many home cooks lean up against counters and such, don't do it. Also, try to figure out the cleanest way possible to perform every action, so the cumulative mess is lessened. I used to just imagine I was on a tv competition and a commentator was constantly critiquing my sanitation. Keep your sanitation bucket clean. "Chocolate work isn't messy, you're messy!" -Ewold Notter

Stake out freezer space. Freeze small slabs of leftover cake, leftover cookie dough, puff dough, and carefully store ice cream to reduce freezer burn. This way, you can pull out an emergency dessert with very little effort.

Good luck!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, J.Green said:

Are you working alone or under a pastry chef?  Is this your first pastry job or have you worked in a few places already?

It does take a couple of weeks to learn your way around any new kitchen.  I've been in pastry for 20 years but still feel slow and incompetent in an unfamiliar kitchen, so some of the issues should work themselves out once you know where everything is and build muscle memory for that space.

For efficiency, focus on mise en place and planning the day's production.  Think about what takes longest to bake or what needs to cool/set before another step can be done and do those first.  Consider the oven and group things with the same baking temp. 

Multi-tasking can be over-rated.  It's better to do one thing right than two things with mistakes.  That said, you don't need to be standing around watching chocolate melt or continuously stirring lemon curd.  While one thing is hanging out over a bain marie and another is in the oven, move on to scaling another recipe or icing the cupcakes, etc. 

And clean in between.  Try not to make a mess and you won't have to clean it up.  Don't put a batter-y spatula down on a clean table, balance it on the bowl or lay down parchment. 

I don't think memorizing recipes is a high priority.  I'd rather you look at the recipe no matter how many times you've made it, especially if you're just starting out and still a bit overwhelmed. 

Do your best, show up on time, accept criticism, and taste everything.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

"Chocolate work isn't messy, you're messy!" -Ewold Notter

That may be true but I sure don't make messes doing anything else food related that come anywhere close to the messes I sometimes make when doing chocolate work. It may not be messy in and of itself but it's certainly skewed towards bringing out one's inner messy.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.