• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Substituting Fresh Creamed Spinach for Frozen

gulfporter

My go-to recipe for Kotopita (Greek Chicken Pie) calls for 2 packages (8 to 11 ounces each) of frozen creamed spinach.  I am in Central Mexico and there is no frozen creamed spinach.  There is no plain frozen spinach either.  There is fresh spinach galore. 

I have found easy recipes to make creamed spinach from a box of frozen plain spinach (adding some cream cheese and cream).  But when I google substituting fresh spinach for a box of frozen, the answers are all over the place.  

Anyone with experience in substituting fresh spinach (in pounds, ounces or grams) for a box of frozen?   

I kinda think you're going to have to eyeball it to some extent.  The 9oz box of Birdseye frozen creamed spinach says it contains two 1/2 cup servings.  

The recipes I've seen for using fresh spinach to make creamed spinach are all over the place as far as the yields go and some only call for "bunches" of spinach.  

Of those that actually specify the spinach in weights, I've found a couple that use 2 1/4 lb fresh spinach leaves to make 8 servings and another that uses 10 oz fresh spinach for 4 servings, and some that use 30 oz fresh spinach for 10 servings.  Those are all pretty consistent, and although they don't state the serving size, you'd probably be fairly safe in assuming something around 1/2 cup.