• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KennethT

Week in coastal Central Vietnam foodblog

OK.... here we go again!!!  While this post is a bit premature (we don't take off until around 1:30AM tonight), I am extremely excited so I figured I'd just set up the topic now.  As in previous foodblogs, I may post a bit from time to time while we're there, depending on how good my internet connection is, and how much free time I have... but the bulk of posting will really get started around July 9th - the day after we get home (hopefully without too much jetlag!!!)

• Like 22

@KennethT  Your blogs are always interesting.  I am looking forward to another. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Where are you heading ? Da Nang, Hue, Hoi An ?

Enjoy your trip and looking forward to some great food !

Looking forward to this.  The SE Pacific is a region I know I wont get to with my wife's shellfish allergies, so I can live vicariously through fantastic posts like these!

We will be in Hoi An and Hue primarily. We'll probably spend a half day or so in Danang.

So we landed brightvand early at 4:15am in Taiwan. Unfortunately, the free beach chairs I had been so fond of in the past are gone, so we're having trouble finding a comfy place to hang out until the food place opens at 6. On the bright side, our flight to Saigon is delayed about a half hour, so we can have a more relaxing breakfast...

• Like 4

Those who have read my previous foodblogs should recognize this:

20170629_061758.thumb.jpg.c293258313bd879a2147e476fd8336eb.jpg

20170629_061859.thumb.jpg.81dffac5646207d46f9d954127bd7728.jpg

• Like 9

Half a day in Danang is about right. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

• Like 1

Hard at work gathering data for further posts... It's a tough job, but someone has to do it...

20170630_180022.thumb.jpg.649a625923a7172108e070a43ac2aa35.jpg

• Like 17

To all those who think that all Vietnamese food is "just so healthy," I give you Deep Fried Pork Bread or Banh Mi Cha Chien

20170630_184719.thumb.jpg.cfb7c30872aae0ebc637b1d00dd17f86.jpg

• Like 12

In someone's back yard area, I thought I saw more dew moistened rice papers (see Saigon blog for more info) but I think they're sweet potato crackers drying in the sun. They're very popular here as you see tons of vendors on the street grilling them over charcoal.

20170702_125011.thumb.jpg.25f15809db11b2c736f46c8d32665c9f.jpg

• Like 8

20170703_124032.thumb.jpg.37d4ad134bff2bf9b40cdd3eb076e55b.jpg

One might think that this is a boring looking plate of fried noodles with beef, and it was, but who cares when it came with this view!

20170703_124043.thumb.jpg.dab78a0fab663e53927647e09e74ed5c.jpg

• Like 12

Bun mam nem!!!!!  I can't wait until I get home to a proper computer (actually I don't want to go home but for the purpose of this post uitt made  my point better) to write about this stuff!

20170703_181841.thumb.jpg.169c4fdfc090df9a3247fc54201934f0.jpg

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 6

Ah! That reminds me! What herbs/greens do you actually encounter in salads? In Japan, houttuynia cordata (lizardtail plant, chameleon plant, fish mint) is just a herb, but since I heard that it was used in salads in Vietnam, I've occasionally used the very young shoots early in the summer, before they flower and get tough and gnarly tasting. Is it a seasonal garnish in Vietnam?

I don't think I've ever seen a "salad" in Vietnam. Usually herbs and greens are accompaniments to a certain dish. I've definitely run into the fish mint (diep ca in Vietnamese) several times - but it's always buried among a variety of herbs and greens that accompany something. But my experience is certainly limited compared to a local's, so maybe I've just never seen it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, helenjp said:

Ah! That reminds me! What herbs/greens do you actually encounter in salads? In Japan, houttuynia cordata (lizardtail plant, chameleon plant, fish mint) is just a herb, but since I heard that it was used in salads in Vietnam, I've occasionally used the very young shoots early in the summer, before they flower and get tough and gnarly tasting. Is it a seasonal garnish in Vietnam?

It is most commonly served as a salad vegetable here in S. China (near the Viet border) and I have often been served it as such in N. Vietnam. 

http://liuzhou.co.uk/wordpress/2011/11/25/friday-food-2-lizards-tail/  

• Like 3

@Shelby I was wondering why I didn't see you here... If I hadn't seen you post in other topics, I would have gotten worried about you!

I'll definitely talk more in detail about the pork toast, everything else, and more but I'm waiting to get home so I can stop typing on this annoying cell phone and I can get all the photos together from 3 different sources... This part us just the teaser... Stay tuned!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

@Shelby I was wondering why I didn't see you here... If I hadn't seen you post in other topics, I would have gotten worried about you!

I'll definitely talk more in detail about the pork toast, everything else, and more but I'm waiting to get home so I can stop typing on this annoying cell phone and I can get all the photos together from 3 different sources... This part us just the teaser... Stay tuned!

Ok, ok....patience is not my strong suit.  LOL kidding ;)

Take your time...and have a WONDERFUL  time :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

I'm delighted to hear that you will have more to say about the intriguing cuisine you're enjoying. I was getting frustrated Googling for more info and having nothing but Vietnamese language sites come up, complete with diacritics I did not include in my search and then not being able to translate. I completely understand now, and thank you for taking time to do this, and I'll be looking forward to more education on Vietnamese food once you return home.

Are your hydroponic gardens going to be okay while you're gone?

Have a great time! It looks like you are off to an awesome start.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Tftc, I hope so! I cut down the basil tree because it drinks just way too much, so the remaining pkants should be fine unless I have a pump failure or something, which isn't likely. While I'm here I'm kerping an ete out fir any potential new roomates... ;)

• Like 1

• Similar Content

• By Kerry Beal
      @Alleguede and I are in the lounge at Pearson awaiting our flight to Vegas for the IBIE (International Baking Industry Exhibition).

I got the usually bomb sniffing swab done on my electronics - @Alleguede got the 3rd degree at customs. Anyone know what a carnet is? I believe I got that lecture the last time.

Made myself a little cocktail, Maker's Mark, Grand Marnier, vintage port. I've had better! 

Not a lot of choices to eat since it's rather late (not that earlier would have helped) - they also have pasta salad, Italian Wedding soup, Cream of mushroom soup, corn chips and salsa. There appear to be some cookies there as well. I'm trying to low carb as much as possible so I'm avoiding most of it.

• By ElsieD
      Host's note: the initial title of this thread was "Swarvin' in ???"  as a teaser.  Once the destination was identified as Newfoundland, the title was changed to reflect this.  The initial comments were based on the ??? In the title.

And we'll soon be off.......culinary adventures to follow.

• By ElsieD
      Some of you may recall that in 2016 I had a blog about our trip to Newfoundland.  We are going there again tomorrow for a week, returning July 1 and I thought that since we are going to, and eating at, places different from that year, I would do another blog.  When I booked our flights and accommodations (7 places in 8 nights) last February, June 23rd seemed like a long ways away.  Yet here we are, about to leave.   I hope some of you will follow along as we travel through the province.    
    • By Smithy
      As times and available resources have changed, members have started their own food/travel blogs. These are not listed in the eG Foodblogs index below. You can find them, though, by searching with the tag "foodblog". The tag search box is near the upper right corner of the Forums Main Page. It looks like this:

• By rarerollingobject
      In December, I spent 3 glorious weeks eating my way through Japan; Tokyo, Kanazawa, Kyoto, Sapporo, Hakodate and back to Tokyo. It was my 11th (!) trip to Japan but my mother had never been, so I thought I'd take the old girl over for a good time. We did not kill each other, surprisingly.

I'll come back and caption these a little more informatively over coming weeks, but as you can see, we ate rather a lot. 

Midori Sushi, Mark City, Shibuya (always my first stop when I arrive in Tokyo, as my preferred hotel is directly above it)

Toro tuna belly,  Midori Sushi, Mark City, Shibuya

Squid gristle for snack time (as you do)

Uni tempura, Tsunahachi, Shinjuku

Uni tempura, Tsunahachi, Shinjuku

Eel, fish and scallop tempura, Tsunahachi, Shinjuku

Clam meat, chopped, stuffed back in clam shell and tempura'd, Tsunahachi, Shinjuku

Crab leg tempura, Tsunahachi, Shinjuku

Maitake mushroom (a cluster of them) tempura, Tsunahachi, Shinjuku

Squid, prawn which had been alive right up until this point, lotus root tempura, dipping sauce, radish and green tea salt, 
      Tsunahachi, Shinjuku

Prawn head tempura, 
      Tsunahachi, Shinjuku

Evening hotel room snack - an AUD$15 tray of uni from Isetan depachika (food basement), Shinjku

Amaebi (sweet raw prawn) gunkan sushi from Umegaoka Sushi No Midori Sohonten, Shibuya

'
      Engawa (flounder fin), lightly grilled, 
      Umegaoka Sushi No Midori Sohonten, Shibuya

Otoro, chutoro and akami tuna, 

Marinated raw baby squid sushi, 

Otoro fatty tuna belly and minced daikon (takuan), 

Fried oysters, 

Negitoro - fatty minced tuna belly and green onion,