• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

10 hours ago, MelissaH said:

That would not have been a possibility at my MIL's. When I was getting ready to make cookie crumbs for a lime pie (but that's another topic), she commented that she had a food processor now. She's never had one before, but yeah, that sounded better than bashing cookies in a ziplock bag. And then she pulled it out, and my heart sank. It was a Cuisinart brand FP. We took a quick look at the blade, ran the serial number, and registered her for the recalled blade replacement. And then I took a closer look at the blade, and saw cracks in it, even though it was barely ever used. So, no food processor.

How smooth do you need to take the filling, to make it pipeable without needing a gigantic hole in the bag or tip?

I got this one specifically for deviled eggs and have used it to fill large tube pasta.  I thought it would probably do OK but like I said, it only took 9 or 10 jumbo shells to fill the baking dish and in the end, I didn't want to bother with it.  I think care should be taken because too much time in the blender would make it more like pate instead of ground beef.

20170816_182917.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

That would not have been a possibility at my MIL's. When I was getting ready to make cookie crumbs for a lime pie (but that's another topic), she commented that she had a food processor now. She's never had one before, but yeah, that sounded better than bashing cookies in a ziplock bag. And then she pulled it out, and my heart sank. It was a Cuisinart brand FP. We took a quick look at the blade, ran the serial number, and registered her for the recalled blade replacement. And then I took a closer look at the blade, and saw cracks in it, even though it was barely ever used. So, no food processor.

How smooth do you need to take the filling, to make it pipeable without needing a gigantic hole in the bag or tip?

I got this one specifically for deviled eggs and have used it to fill large tube pasta.  I thought it would probably do OK but like I said, it only took 9 or 10 jumbo shells to fill the baking dish and in the end, I didn't want to bother with it.

20170816_182917.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I got this one specifically for deviled eggs and have used it to fill large tube pasta.  I thought it would probably do OK but like I said, it only took 9 or 10 jumbo shells to fill the baking dish and end the end, I didn't want to bother with it.

20170816_182917.jpg