• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aquafaba, anyone?

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Not sure if this is the correct forum--perhaps "Beverages and Libations" would be more appropriate.

I am interested in using aquafaba as a substitute for raw egg whites in a pisco sour. I know how to make it, though I tend to cook my own beans rather than using canned ones. My question is, can aquafaba be frozen and still whip up like an egg white? It doesn't last very long in the fridge, I know, so I'd like to stockpile it a little for future use. I'm cooking garbanzos right now and I know not to pour the liquid down the drain.

And if anyone has any tips for using it in other applications please let me know.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

eG aquafaba topic

Mentioned twice in the Drinks! 2017 forum: one  two

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Excellent! Thanks very much for those links. Lots of good info and I think an answer to my question about freezing aquafaba. So when I drain the liquid from the garbanzos just now finishing up on the stove I will freeze most of the liquid except for the amount I'll refrigerate for my pisco sour experiment.

N. in P.

Formerly "Nancy in CO"