• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

On 4/22/2017 at 3:38 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am ashamed.  "That imperfect quarter of dark" is me and my iPad.

That's like the renaissance artist painting himself into the scene. Next time a little more face please.

gfweb

gfweb

On 4/22/2017 at 3:38 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am ashamed.  "That imperfect quarter of dark" is me and my iPad.

Here is the dashi thread:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/21765-dashi/

For the dashi pictured I anovaed 10 grams of kombu (kelp) with 500 ml decalcified water, 65 deg C for one hour.  After removing the kombu I brought the broth barely to the boil, removed from the heat, and stirred in an unmeasured amount of freshly shaved katsuobushi.  After resting one minute I strained through cheese cloth and my finest strainer.

I know of no source of katsuobushi in the US.  Katsuobushi is dried fermented tuna about the consistency of a wooden table leg and of fantastic fragrance.  I order mine from Japan.  Kombu should be easy to find, as are pre-shaved bags of fish as a very last resort.

That's like the renaissance artist painting himself into the scene. Next time a little more face please.