• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gulfporter

gulfporter

Condolences, @Shelby

We sashay between Mexico and Florida.  Electricity in Mexico can be a crapshoot.  We live in Centro where the restaurants, shops, businesses are, and this usually ensures rare and short power outages.  We do however suffer from "brownouts" where half of our house electricity is "on" while the other is "off."  Oh...and which half is on versus off, changes every time, and even changes during brownouts. We have a closet full of extension cords to handle this when we are home and we also always have  a 10 kilo bag of ice in the freezer part of the fridge. 

I keep very little protein in our MXN freezer for these reasons.  Maybe 4 or 5 meals worth of fish/shrimp that during an outage I can grill to feed ourselves and a few neighbors.  Prior to any trip, we  eat our way through our freezer.  Not a scintilla of protein is allowed in there while we are away.  I do the same at the FL house (where the grid is much more stable), however after Hurricane Irma hit us in September 2017, the home was without power for 5 days.  We were away during Irma; and while we have an excellent FL property manager, he was unable to get to our home for 3 days due to road closures.  

We are in the better safe than sorry camp. Even those of you without 2nd homes may want to consider eating your way through your freezer before you go on vacation.  

gulfporter

gulfporter

Condolences, @Shelby

We sashay between Mexico and Florida.  Electricity in Mexico can be a crapshoot.  We live in Centro where the restaurants, shops, businesses are, and this usually ensures rare and short power outages.  We do however suffer from "brownouts" where half of our house electricity is "on" while the other is "off."  Oh...and which half is on versus off, changes every time, and even during brownouts. We have a closet full of extension cords to handle this when we are home and we also keep  a 10 kilo bag of ice in the freezer part of the fridge. 

I keep very little protein in our freezer for these reasons.  Maybe 4 or 5 meals worth of fish/shrimp that during an outage I can grill to feed ourselves and a few neighbors.  Prior to any trip, we  eat our way through our freezer.  Not a scintilla of protein is allowed in there while we are away.  I do the same at the FL house (where the grid is much more stable), however after Hurricane Irma hit us in September 2017, the home was without power for 5 days.  We were away during Irma; and while we have an excellent FL property manager, he was unable to get to our home for 3 days due to road closures.  

We are in the better safe than sorry camp. Even those of you without 2nd homes may want to consider eating your way through your freezer before you go on vacation.