• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shelby

Shelby

10 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Never made chicken fried steak!  By the looks of that plate I am seriously amiss with my recipe selections.

So, season meat, dredge in flour, dip in egg, and dredge in bread crumbs then fry?

Any sauce that's a must...? Fried onions on the side?

They are good.... you need to try it.

First, you take your meat and beat the heck out of it with a meat tenderizer

photo.jpg

(is that what this is called?  maybe it's a meat mallet??).  I mean really get after it.  Then, place your meat in buttermilk that has an egg beaten into it and let it soak for a while.  I soak for an hour or so.  While soaking get your flour ready.  I add garlic, black pepper and Lawry's salt to it in a ziplock bag (or you can use a bowl or whatever...I like using a ziplock, it makes less of a mess for me).  Take your meat out of the buttermilk mixture and put it in the bag and shake it up (or dredge it in a bowl).  Heat your oil up to 350F and fry.  Good stuff.  

Gravy and mashed potatoes are a must....fried onions would be good, too.

Shelby

Shelby

1 minute ago, Okanagancook said:

Never made chicken fried steak!  By the looks of that plate I am seriously amiss with my recipe selections.

So, season meat, dredge in flour, dip in egg, and dredge in bread crumbs then fry?

Any sauce that's a must...? Fried onions on the side?

They are good.... you need to try it.

First, you take your meat and beat the heck out of it with a meat tenderizer

photo.jpg

(is that what this is called?  maybe it's a meat mallet??).  I mean really get after it.  Then, place your meat in buttermilk that has an egg beaten into it and let it soak for a while.  I soak for an hour or so.  While soaking get your flour ready.  I add garlic, black pepper and Lawry's salt to it in a ziplock bag (or you can use a bowl or whatever...I like using a ziplock, it makes less of a mess for me).  Take your meat out of the buttermilk mixture and put it in the bag and shake it up (or dredge it in a bowl).  Heat your oil up to 350F and fry.  Good stuff.