• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

daveb

daveb

Looks like you're off to good start.

I'm not a fan of zip locks for a long cook, but if that's what you have to work with then.....  2nd the part about clipping the edge to the top of the container so that the seal is not submerged.

Your container should be fine with a circulator though I would prefer a 12 qt Cambro for most SV.    For long cooks  I like a Coleman "stackable".  For either container (or yours) a 2 1/2" hole saw will cut an opening for the Anova bluetooth unit.  (2 3/4" for Anova 1)

If you still have concerns about doing it as a roll you can steak it and do it as pieces (my preferred method) or whole but not rolled per David Chang.

The belly pictured was done at 140F.  (Pork likes 140F)  It was seared outside in a wok.  Your oven, cranked up and on broil will work fine but will take it out of commission for dinner rolls, warming, finishing sides etc.  Super hot grill, esp with cast iron skillet will work well.

Don't forget the liquids in the bag make a great addition to sauce.

SV Porchetta stuffed with chick food.

Pork Belly Roll Slicing (2).jpgPork Belly Roll Sliced.jpg

Duroc belly steaked:  (Note:  When steaked you can do as much or as little of the belly as you would like,  Freeze other pieces for another day.2015-02-19 13.56.33.jpg

What it should look like.jpg

daveb

daveb

Looks like you're off to good start.

I'm not a fan of zip locks for a long cook, but if that's what you have to work with then.....  2nd the part about clipping the edge to the top of the container so that the seal is not submerged.

Your container should be fine with a circulator though I would prefer a 12 qt Cambro for most SV.    For long cooks  I like a Coleman "stackable".  For either container (or yours) a 2 1/2" hole saw will cut an opening for the Anova bluetooth unit.  (2 3/4" for Anova 1)

The belly pictured was done at 140F.  (Pork likes 140F)  It was seared outside in a wok.  Your oven, cranked up and on broil will work fine but will take it out of commission for dinner rolls, warming, finishing sides etc.  Super hot grill, esp with cast iron skillet will work well.

Don't forget the liquids in the bag make a great addition to sauce.

Pork Belly Roll Slicing (2).jpgPork Belly Roll Sliced.jpg