• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc Sips in Seattle - tea drinker in a coffee culture

Kerry Beal

At Chocopolis we visited with the owners of Charm School Chocolate, manufacturers of white, milk and dark vegan chocolate. Really good vegan chocolate I must say! The white is totally top drawer, not too sweet, heavy on the natural vanilla - apparently tempers very nicely as well! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Alleguede said:

image.jpg

That would be Lisabeth - she writes the Ultimate Chocolate Blog and her business is Ultimately Chocolate. We visit and play with chocolate when I'm up in Manitoulin working.

• Like 3

We, too, enjoyed a dinner at Revel. That was about four years ago, on our last trip to Seattle. Apparently, the gang from Top Chef had been in just a couple of days before we were there. I no longer remember the specifics of what we ate, but I remember enjoying it tremendously.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

5 hours ago, Shalmanese said:

Revel is one of my favorite restaurants in Seattle so I'm glad you got to experience it! 

1 hour ago, MelissaH said:

We, too, enjoyed a dinner at Revel. That was about four years ago, on our last trip to Seattle. Apparently, the gang from Top Chef had been in just a couple of days before we were there. I no longer remember the specifics of what we ate, but I remember enjoying it tremendously.

I believe it was an @FrogPrincesse suggestion on the Suggestion for Seattle thread. So when we were heading out of the venue after setup this am and told one of the organizers which direction we were heading to do a few things - he also suggested it. That's quite a the area for restaurants - got the impression that it might be where the food trucks settle when they graduate from mobile to brick and mortar. 

• Like 1

I love tamarind!  Please tell more about that soup. What was in it? How did it taste? Were there contrasting textures?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

49 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I love tamarind!  Please tell more about that soup. What was in it? How did it taste? Were there contrasting textures?

It did have some contrasting texture. We were debating if perhaps one of the veg might be loofa - kind of a spongy slice. There was pineapple, perhaps a few other Asian roots/shoots. Tasted like an interesting cousin to hot and sour soup. I think there were cherry tomatoes there too.

Did I mention that we were joined at dinner by @YetiChocolates? Willow came to Seattle for the show.

• Like 4

I was working on posting these pics yesterday when I got a text from a friend to say that her rancher husband had sustained an injury a couple of weeks back and was now having complications. Having a really large Y chromosome he had resisted going to hospital. They do live in an isolated area in northern BC and the very small hospital is a ferry ride away. Checking with me allowed her to convince him to go and get checked out, But - I missed posting these.

image.jpeg

Our booth

image.jpeg

brunch from one of the festival vendors - obtained before the huge lineups!

Willow took us to whole foods last night - today I have olives, chèvre and crackers!

• Like 11

11 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

image.jpeg

ribs

A question for anybody to answer - In North America a person talks of "ribs", as @Kerry Beal has above. When using that term, are the ribs always pork? I ask this as in my country we specify either pork ribs or lamb ribs, as both are freely available.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

@JohnT

I will speak only for myself. If I say ribs I mean pork ribs. I will definitely qualify ribs if they are beef ribs. Lamb ribs are pretty much unheard of. Most of my acquaintances will clearly say "beef" ribs if that's what they are eating. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, JohnT said:

A question for anybody to answer - In North America a person talks of "ribs", as @Kerry Beal has above. When using that term, are the ribs always pork? I ask this as in my country we specify either pork ribs or lamb ribs, as both are freely available.

There was lamb on this menu (which can be unusual I find in north america). But I'd say it's fair to say pork unless specified - and the other option would be beef ribs rather than lamb ribs - they are as rare as hen's teeth in this part of the world.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

Thanks Anna and Kerry. Solves that problem in my mind. I know that when I have tried to buy lamb (of any cut) on the US east coast, I have been unsuccessful. We have a lot of lamb here and of course a large Muslem population, who will not be seen frequenting a restaurant serving pork. I have never heard of beef ribs here. Thanks for your incredibly quick replies.

John

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

That's an interesting point about "ribs" not applying to lamb here.  In this country we'd call it a "rack of lamb" or, in the fanciest presentation, a "crown rib roast" in which the rack is rolled into a circle and then roasted with a stuffing inside the circle. So yes, we do lamb ribs, but we don't call them that.  I agree with Kerry and Anna that the default animal for "ribs" is pork over here.

At the risk of Too Much Information: a place name modifier can specify the animal.  "St. Louis Ribs" or "Memphis-style Ribs" will definitely be pork; "Texas ribs" are beef.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Ah Smithy, a rack of lamb here is a whole side of chops still attached to the spine with some rib protruding. You could not roll it. Our lamb ribs are just the same as the pork ones, more than likely basted with the same sauce that would be used for pork. Your roll you described with the herbs inside is either a pork belly roll or a lamb belly roll - both darn good if the stuffing is done with fresh herbs. 

Anyway, we are moving off topic so back to our tea sipping chockdoc and her show - hope you are getting orders Kerry!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

Ah Smithy, a rack of lamb here is a whole side of chops still attached to the spine with some rib protruding. You could not roll it. Our lamb ribs are just the same as the pork ones, more than likely basted with the same sauce that would be used for pork. Your roll you described with the herbs inside is either a pork belly roll or a lamb belly roll - both darn good if the stuffing is done with fresh herbs. 

Anyway, we are moving off topic so back to our tea sipping chockdoc and her show - hope you are getting orders Kerry!

John I agree that a rack of lamb is not the same as lamb ribs but a crown roast of lamb is very doable Link.  Now back to our regularly scheduled program but I did feel the need to correct this (to curry favour with @Smithy:)

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, JohnT said:

Here ribs are either beef or pork, depending on exactly where one is:  south east US (probably pork) or in Texas (most likely beef).

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

14 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I was working on posting these pics yesterday when I got a text from a friend to say that her rancher husband had sustained an injury a couple of weeks back and was now having complications. Having a really large Y chromosome he had resisted going to hospital.

Testosterone is a neurotoxin

• Like 4

Safely back home - sipping a nice cuppa before I head for bed. Tomorrow back to the grind.

I had the pleasure of meeting pastrygirl in person and a number of other eG lurkers and posters who's onscreen names I don't know. I try to encourage the lurkers to jump in and start posting. I think we all fear that we'll ask stupid questions. 

• Like 10