• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for Pendo Vertical Blade Peeler in the US

cyalexa

I have one of these vertical peelers and have been looking for another, literally for years. The gift thread gave me my first clue but in spite of multiple searches I cannot find the vertical peeler for sale. I may email the manufacturer but based on the info on the contact page I do not expect that to be fruitful. I am hoping someone here can help.

Pendo vertical blade peeler 

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title (log)

I have a serrated one of these made by Messermeister which I love. I have another with a straight blade made by Oxo which I love not so much.  I suspect either of these are readily available in the States.

8 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I have a serrated one of these made by Messermeister which I love. I have another with a straight blade made by Oxo which I love not so much.  I suspect either of these are readily available in the States.

I think cyalexa is looking for a peeler with a very distinct thumb guard/rest, as opposed to the "swelled handle" of the Messermeister. Is that right, c?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

1 hour ago, cyalexa said:

I'm holding out for the specific product at the link. I have tried a couple others, although not a Messermeister, and none were as good.  

I'd definitely email the manufacturer, then. I'm not sure why you doubt that would help. Given that they have a dedicated website in English, I'm sure your message will reach someone who understands what you're asking. (BTW, the "E-mail" link wasn't good; click on "Contact" at the top.) If they don't distribute the product in the US anymore, I wouldn't be surprised if they offered to sell it to you directly.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

11 hours ago, cyalexa said:

I have one of these vertical peelers and have been looking for another, literally for years. The gift thread gave me my first clue but in spite of multiple searches I cannot find the vertical peeler for sale. I may email the manufacturer but based on the info on the contact page I do not expect that to be fruitful. I am hoping someone here can help.

Pendo vertical blade peeler 

Here is a company in Brooklyn from whom you could get 20 of them!

Twenty isn't that large a quantity, if the price is reasonable. Two or three for yourself (so you don't have to do this again any time soon), eight or 10 as lightweight Christmas gifts, and probably a handful distributed to other interested eGulleters.

I've reconciled myself to Y peelers, simply because I haven't been able to find a decent vertical model for years, but I'd cheerfully pay to have one of the 20 shipped to me here in Canada. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

22 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Here is a company in Brooklyn from whom you could get 20 of them!

They only sell to dealers and require a federal tax ID to open an account. I have a tax ID but it is for a not-for-profit charity and I don't think I should use it for this purpose. 

Who wants to be my dealer?

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

I've reconciled myself to Y peelers, simply because I haven't been able to find a decent vertical model for years, but I'd cheerfully pay to have one of the 20 shipped to me here in Canada. 

I will gladly share the 20 at my cost if I can manage to get them!