• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Precision Oven: Features, Accessories, Troubleshooting, and "Should I Buy One?"

FauxPas

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I use this steel from McMaster-Carr

https://www.mcmaster.com/9745K79-9745K19/

...or I did before I had to stop baking bread.

Thanks for responding but the link did not go to your steel.  I ended up ordering this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09PKJK4ST/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Thanks for responding but the link did not go to your steel.  I ended up ordering this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09PKJK4ST/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Odd, when I click on the link it goes exactly to the steel I use in the Anova.  Where does the link take you?  Could it be something funny because you are in Canada and I am in the US?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Odd, when I click on the link it goes exactly to the steel I use in the Anova.  Where does the link take you?  Could it be something funny because you are in Canada and I am in the US?

Works for me and I'm up here too 😀

p

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The link goes to the site but not to the steel you have.  But before I can look for it on on the site, I have to register which means giving them my email address which I didn't want to do.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a baking steel that I keep in my regular oven. I remove it when I need a quick pre-heat but otherwise accept that it will take some extra time. 

This may not apply to your steel but mine will rust if it’s left to sit in a wet or damp condition so I'd consider that when using the Anova steam functions. 

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have a baking steel that I keep in my regular oven. I remove it when I need a quick pre-heat but otherwise accept that it will take some extra time. 

This may not apply to your steel but mine will rust if it’s left to sit in a wet or damp condition so I'd consider that when using the Anova steam functions. 

Mine is sandblasted steel whatever that means, and there are warnings in the instructions to be beware of rust if it gets wet and what to do if it does.  It also needs to be seasoned which I will do tonight.  I do use the steam function on the Anova and rarely use the big oven so I will do as you do, and keep it in there.  Thank you.

6 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I got my baking steel today and I have a question.  Do you leave it in the oven at all times or do you only put it in the oven when you need it?  That thing weighs a ton.

For the big, heavy pizza steel (actually aluminum) in my stove oven I leave it in all the time.  For the little steel in the APO I take it out when not baking.

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

For the big, heavy pizza steel (actually aluminum) in my stove oven I leave it in all the time.  For the little steel in the APO I take it out when not baking.

How big is your little steel and where did you get it?

12 hours ago, ElsieD said:

How big is your little steel and where did you get it?

For the APO I use a 12x12 inch by 1/4 inch thick Polished Corrosion-Resistant 316 Stainless Steel from McMaster-Carr.  I linked it before but apparently you have to log in to their website to view the listing.

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

For the APO I use a 12x12 inch by 1/4 inch thick Polished Corrosion-Resistant 316 Stainless Steel from McMaster-Carr.  I linked it before but apparently you have to log in to their website to view the listing.

Thanks.  If I just do a search on McMaster-Carr I can access the site.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have to cook something at 300ºF and then you need to reheat something at 200ºF, how do you cool down the APO?

I have discovered that if the oven is hot, and then the door is opened to cool down the oven, the oven cannot maintain the cooler temperature. Instead it goes up 80ºF!

So what do you do?

3 hours ago, TdeV said:

If you have to cook something at 300ºF and then you need to reheat something at 200ºF, how do you cool down the APO?

I have discovered that if the oven is hot, and then the door is opened to cool down the oven, the oven cannot maintain the cooler temperature. Instead it goes up 80ºF!

So what do you do?

Push the button to turn the oven off.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to dehydrate some jalapeno peppers.  I have never dehydrated anything before.  Since I want the seeds as well, I'm guessing I would deseed them, chop the flesh up and take the seeds off the stem ot whatever you call it.  These would get separated from the stem so they are loose.  Since they will be in small bits I'd have to dehydrate them on a 1/4 sheet pan.  Does this sound right?  I guess I would use the app setting to dehydrate them, leaving the oven door slightly ajar.  Any advice?

• 2 months later...
On 11/9/2023 at 9:36 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Push the button to turn the oven off.

This doesn't work if the oven is off for only a short time. Making fish the other day, I had to leave the oven off for 10 minutes for it to comprehend NOT to raise oven temp above settings.

• Confused 1

Seem to have forgotten how to accomplish this trick:

From the front panel, one can start the Descale function. As a part of this function, one adds a litre of water for the first rinse.

In the past, I have accomplished the second rinse by activating the Descale function from the app.

Today, the app won't engage.

Any idea why?

On 2/10/2024 at 2:28 PM, TdeV said:

This doesn't work if the oven is off for only a short time. Making fish the other day, I had to leave the oven off for 10 minutes for it to comprehend NOT to raise oven temp above settings.

I'm sorry, but this behavior seems strange to me.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Yesterday I was cooking a prime rib roast as per the instructions on the app.  Probe 133F, temp 152, 100% steam.  When finished, I opened the oven door to release steam, set the oven temp to 475, timer 6 minutes, zero steam.  When pre-heated in the roast went.  Twice the oven quit on me.  Everything on it went out, including all the lights on the handle. .  Checked the breakers and none were off.  After the first time I waited a few minutes and tried again.  Worked for maybe a minute and shut down again.  Gave up and had dinner.  Any ideas on what went wrong?

• Sad 4

@ElsieD, I had that shutdown behaviour a few times and had started discussions with Anova about it. I was expecting that they would replace the oven. And then I got distracted and not much later, the oven quit the misbehaving.

This occurred months ago.

I'd suggest trying to see how you can reset the oven. Unplug it. Delete the app from your phone. Reinstall. See if problem reoccurs.

• Like 1