• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you say "Otto"

Fat Guy

Nick, if you feel it's ridiculous, nobody's forcing you to read it and post in it. Obviously, for some of us, this discussion is interesting and entertaining.

And Mario couldn't settle anything. The discussion isn't about Mario, or even about Otto, at this point.

But of course you knew that, the thread being so ridiculous and all.

Edited by La Niña (log)

I believe the thread is ridiculous, valuable, on-topic, annoying, important, and far from over.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I guess a little dilution ain't such a bad thing. Goes to show some folks here (not necessarily you) that, in fact, that administrators are not going to operate the site with a heavy hand or a hardened heart.

I'd like to say for the record that I believe myself to be possessed an extremely well-hardened heart. That Pharoah dude, he had nothing on me. I just happen to think that a discussion of the proper pronunciation of names of restaurants and names of foods is totally in line with the core function of a food site. I even think it's interesting, although of course I've been right about this over the course of a few threads so for me the interest derives mostly from watching everybody slowly catch up.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I guess a little dilution ain't such a bad thing.  Goes to show some folks here (not necessarily you) that, in fact, that administrators are not going to operate the site with a heavy hand or a hardened heart.

Riiiiiiight.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I think I finally got what Nina was talking about when she said we (Americans) don't have the same O sound. The long O in Otto is actually a short hard O (I'm sure I'm recalling the name of this sound wrong; college linguistics was about 12 years ago :shock: ). What this means is this: The long O in toe, tow, hoe, etc., has a little bit of a W sound to it at the end of the vowel. Try to say these words slow and you'll hear what I'm saying, that brief moment when your lips purse & release slightly as if about to pronounce the W sound. Instead, the O sound in Otto is the beginning of the long O sound, but without the W sound at the finish. Here's the website for The International Phonetic Association, which has charts of the phonetic alphabet, if you are interested in learning more.

Edited by RPerlow (log)

This will hopefully help us with some of the idosyncracies of Latin Indo-European languages.

This sound byte is from

Enrico De Nicola 3rd

Naples Native

New Dean of Italian studies at Brown University

Former UN Italian Cultural Attache and translator

Accademia della Crusca

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

Rachel, that's really helpful, thanks. But also let's not forget that the two o's in Otto are not identical. The first one is shorter than the second one. The second one comes closer to closing toward that w thing that you mentioned, but still doesn't get there like a long English o. In other words (and I should have said this earlier), the o's in Otto are not dipthongs like the English long o.

Edited by La Niña (log)

Cabby, you might have trouble calling your restaurant Huit.  It's too similar to Huiters.   :biggrin:

Wilfrid -- You suggest an interesting question about the extent to which the protections a restaurant has over its name address pronounciation similarities when another restaurant has a differently-spelled name that sounds similar. :hmmm: Would "huit" (French pronounciation) have problems if an existing restaurant were called "wheat", for example?

Edited by cabrales (log)

Pig is porco. Plural is porci, pronounced por-chee (with an Italian r, and the last vowel is not as long as as the American ee-sounding vowel - use the w example that Rachel came up with before, but substitute a y).

Imagine how many people would have said por-see or por-kee or por-sigh or porch-eye or pork-eye.

Edited by La Niña (log)