• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

@PatrickT, like you I am always surprised at how forgiving bread is.  It is almost impossible to really screw up.

In your case that is one beautiful loaf.  Crust and crumb.

Baguettes7hourovernightroomtemperaturefermentationJanuary21st2024.thumb.jpg.23450a333afc68436f151f6fbb757b5d.jpg

Started a batch of dough last night using a Pate Fermentee (200g) that had been in the fridge for three days.
Added it to 1000g of flour and I added 1g of yeast, which is approximately 1/4 tsp. Hydration was 66%.
Left the dough out on the counter for an overnight 7 hour fermentation
and at 3:00 AM this morning the dough was hitting the top of the lid of a 6 Quart container.
I think I will leave out the yeast in the next batch.
I cut off 200g of dough and it went into the fridge for the next bake.
  • Like 4

I made a batch of Pate Fermentee Monday and baked with it on Friday. (No pics) It wasn't sourdough it was just regular white bread but what a difference in the flavor. I can't imagine doing it any other way now. Thanks Patrick. I did dig out my sourdough and feed it today. It's been quite a while, I hope it revives.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I made a batch of Pate Fermentee Monday and baked with it on Friday. (No pics) It wasn't sourdough it was just regular white bread but what a difference in the flavor. I can't imagine doing it any other way now. Thanks Patrick. I did dig out my sourdough and feed it today. It's been quite a while, I hope it revives.

Did you save a piece of dough for your next batch?

Just now, Ann_T said:

Did you save a piece of dough for your next batch?

Oh, most definitely. I do have a question, though, about maximum length of storage before use. The recipe that I am using now has no milk or eggs.

14 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Oh, most definitely. I do have a question, though, about maximum length of storage before use. The recipe that I am using now has no milk or eggs.

I usually use it within three days, but I did go as long as 5 and didn't notice any difference.   

1 minute ago, Ann_T said:

I usually use it within three days, but I did go as long as 5 and didn't notice any difference.   

Thank you. I wonder if I can pop it in the freezer if I don't use it before that.

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

@PatrickT, like you I am always surprised at how forgiving bread is.  It is almost impossible to really screw up.

In your case that is one beautiful loaf.  Crust and crumb.

Baguettes7hourovernightroomtemperaturefermentationJanuary21st2024.thumb.jpg.23450a333afc68436f151f6fbb757b5d.jpg

Started a batch of dough last night using a Pate Fermentee (200g) that had been in the fridge for three days.
Added it to 1000g of flour and I added 1g of yeast, which is approximately 1/4 tsp. Hydration was 66%.
Left the dough out on the counter for an overnight 7 hour fermentation
and at 3:00 AM this morning the dough was hitting the top of the lid of a 6 Quart container.
I think I will leave out the yeast in the next batch.
I cut off 200g of dough and it went into the fridge for the next bake.

Thanks very much @Ann_T! I'm delighted with the flavor of this loaf and am making it again for a luncheon with friends later this week.

Your baguettes are always so inspiring. Definitely need to try making them again. It's been quite a while.

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

So glad it's worked out well for you! I might try the Pate Fermentee method myself when I take a whack at Ann's baguettes. 

I'm sure your starter is just fine. They are far more resilient than we think. If you want a laugh on this subject, check out Tom Cucuzza's YouTube video 50 Ways to Kill Your Starter. It's hilarious - and actually quite educational.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

This was hilarious. Thank you.

It's been 24 hours and sure enough, my starter revived completely. It is definitely a number six, more the drunk tank variety but it is doing fine.

Glad to hear it - and glad you enjoyed the video. It's one of my favorites.

3 minutes ago, PatrickT said:

Glad to hear it - and glad you enjoyed the video. It's one of my favorites.

It should be required watching for anyone that is trying to learn about sourdough. It takes a lot of the Mystique and the fear out of keeping a starter alive. I hope that @TdeV sees it. She's had such a terrible time with her starters and I get the feeling that she has unnecessarily thrown away some promising ones.

• Like 1

I went back and watched the Chain Baker video on Pate Fermentee and he leaves them in

the fridge for up to two weeks.   I'll have to give that a try.

I bought a new fridge for the utility room that arrived on Tuesday.  Moe is calling it my Baker's Fridge.

Although it will get used for more than baking, probably, I really wanted a fridge to be able to

have more doughs going with different stages of fermentation. 

NewLGAllFridgeJanuary24th2024.thumb.jpg.81e97a0055f407205699dea02f0d88a5.jpg

Got one batch in on Tuesday night along with a Pate Fermentee

FedSourdoughStartersafter6hoursJanuary24th2024.thumb.jpg.5f193563a362074b159f286093c6b62c.jpg

and then on Wednesday I decided to feed both my starters and I spun one off for someone else. 

FedSourdoughstartersandtwolevainsJanuary24th2024.thumb.jpg.d2fc52d9b675bb6341940148f28d85a1.jpg

And used more discard to make two levains. 

BreadFridge.thumb.jpg.49f0ad6706d6d81901bd946046f9d31c.jpg

After the starters had doubled they went into the fridge along with one of the levains.

The other one went into a batch of sourdough bread dough and was left on the counter overnight until 2:00 AM this morning.

SourdoughBakeJanuary25th2024.thumb.jpg.48fce0a4eed001f3f0ac934bd6755f4d.jpg

Baked six baguettes and one small boule.  They were out of the oven before 5:00AM.

SourdoughBakeJanuary25th20241.thumb.jpg.087f314d4a6c62b4c0f0ece1f5ececab.jpg

Slice one for Moe's breakfast. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

2 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

I went back and watched the Chain Baker video on Pate Fermentee and he leaves them in

the fridge for up to two weeks. 

You posted this about 6 hours too late. I just threw one away that had been in there for over 5 days. That's okay, I'll just start another.

6 hours ago, Ann_T said:

the fridge for up to two weeks.   I'll have to give that a try.

I bought a new fridge for the utility room that arrived on Tuesday.  Moe is calling it my Baker's Fridge.

Although it will get used for more than baking, probably, I really wanted a fridge to be able to

have more doughs going with different stages of fermentation. 

NewLGAllFridgeJanuary24th2024.thumb.jpg.81e97a0055f407205699dea02f0d88a5.jpg

Got one batch in on Tuesday night along with a Pate Fermentee

FedSourdoughStartersafter6hoursJanuary24th2024.thumb.jpg.5f193563a362074b159f286093c6b62c.jpg

and then on Wednesday I decided to feed both my starters and I spun one off for someone else. 

FedSourdoughstartersandtwolevainsJanuary24th2024.thumb.jpg.d2fc52d9b675bb6341940148f28d85a1.jpg

And used more discard to make two levains. 

BreadFridge.thumb.jpg.49f0ad6706d6d81901bd946046f9d31c.jpg

After the starters had doubled they went into the fridge along with one of the levains.

The other one went into a batch of sourdough bread dough and was left on the counter overnight until 2:00 AM this morning.

SourdoughBakeJanuary25th2024.thumb.jpg.48fce0a4eed001f3f0ac934bd6755f4d.jpg

Baked six baguettes and one small boule.  They were out of the oven before 5:00AM.

SourdoughBakeJanuary25th20241.thumb.jpg.087f314d4a6c62b4c0f0ece1f5ececab.jpg

Slice one for Moe's breakfast. 

I’m seeing the bakery opening next! 😂

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Do you use their proofing box?

I do and I love it. I use their Sourdough Home, as well, and as much as I initially resisted buying more gadgets, I have to say that both of them have really helped me become more consistent. I pretty much need all the help I can get. 😂

10 hours ago, PatrickT said:

That’s a beauty! Love the color especially. 😍

Thanks.  It's taken me a couple bakes to figure out my mothers oven and kitchen temp.  Completely different than mine.  Teaching me to be a better "listener" to the dough though so it will help for when I can finally move back into my house.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PatrickT said:

I do and I love it. I use their Sourdough Home, as well, and as much as I initially resisted buying more gadgets, I have to say that both of them have really helped me become more consistent. I pretty much need all the help I can get. 😂

I have the proofing box also but I never use it.  Maybe I should dig it out.

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I have the proofing box also but I never use it.  Maybe I should dig it out.

I use mine with Tom Cucuzza’s Bulk Fermentation table to give me an estimate for percent rise and time in BF. 

IMG_6245.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Baked today with a new batch of Pate fermentee. I also used a little bit of my new starter. It's not a true sourdough because I only used the starter and the pate for flavor not for total leavening in the bread. My oven isn't hot enough to make true sourdough but this has a flavor that we really like. Four little baguettes at a loaf of sandwich bread.

20240131_115054.thumb.jpg.bd7b1af0ae2065e157cb042cc6c0032f.jpg

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1