• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

@TropicalseniorThe oven rise/spring is almost identical.  Yes it’s a sourdough, 6% sourdough starter.  This was about 400 g flour, 2% salt, 74% hydration. I’ll see if I can find an interior shot of one I have made with a hot oven start.  
This is 20% whole wheat but baked  at 440* to start, the outcome is almost identical. Both breads are retarded overnight  ( 8/24 hrs.)in a banneton prior to baking.

IMG_3769.jpeg

Edited by OlyveOyl
Addition (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I'm curious about this. Does it give you more oven rise?

From my perspective, no differences that I can tell - other than a significantly lowered risk of burning your fingers when you load your loaf! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, OlyveOyl said:

@PatrickT
Even with a hot oven, my pan is at room temperature, and my bread has a lovely crust and crumb.

Gotcha. Many of the sourdough recipes I follow call for a preheated Dutch Oven. When I do my cold bakes, the loaf goes into a cold DO and the DO goes into a cold oven. So easy!

@PatrickT

I’ve not bothered with  cast  iron Dutch ovens for a very long time.  I switched to light weight Granite Ware or in this case, I used a deep Corningware soufflé shaped casserole dish, results have been more than satisfactory, never looked back 😁In fact, the above recipes called for cast iron.

Edited by OlyveOyl
Addition (log)
  • Like 1

Just now, OlyveOyl said:

@PatrickT

I’ve not bothered with  cast  iron Dutch ovens for a very long time.  I switched to light weight Granite Ware or in this case, I used a deep Corningware soufflé shaped casserole dish, results have been more than satisfactory, never looked back 😁.

Granite Ware is exactly my choice now too! 😃 Love it. Lightweight, cools off in a jiffy, and is every bit as effective as cast iron in my experience. 

This morning’s bake in an enameled steel Granite ware pan. This is a larger loaf than previously posted, it’s 500g., 95% bread flour, 5% rye. Baked directly from fridge in a room temperature pan @440* for 25 minutes, cover removed, reduced to 425*  for 15- minutes.

IMG_5185.jpeg

Edited by OlyveOyl
Addition (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 2

37 minutes ago, OlyveOyl said:

This morning’s bake in an enameled steel Granite ware pan. This is a larger loaf than previously posted, it’s 500g., 95% bread flour, 5% rye. Baked directly from fridge in a room temperature pan @440* for 25 minutes, cover removed, reduced to 425*  for 15- minutes.

IMG_5185.jpeg

Beautiful! What was the hydration of your loaf?

On 12/4/2023 at 7:15 AM, PatrickT said:

From my perspective, no differences that I can tell - other than a significantly lowered risk of burning your fingers when you load your loaf! 😂

I don't burn them putting them in, but they are a little on on the fingers when I pull them out by hand. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, OlyveOyl said:

IMG_5185.jpeg

That is one of the most beautiful boules I've ever seen.

Today's bake.
SourdoughLightRyeDecember6th2023.thumb.jpg.bdbb605dae10290b7d7f63046598b61a.jpg
Dough started with a sourdough Pate Fermentee ,  on Monday and went into the fridge until 8:00 PM last night. Left out on the counter until 3:00 AM today.
I did add 2g of yeast to this batch.
Sourdough Light Rye.
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 2

I started two batches of Homestyle White Bread today and baked tonight. 
HomestyleWhiteBreadDecember6th1.thumb.jpg.b05ebe313635ffc34734b40942069de5.jpg
Three larger loaves, and four small loaves, and there was enough dough for three dinner size rolls.
The small loaves are for a little friend, who loves my baguettes, but has just lost two or three of his baby teeth
and is having problems eating the baguettes.

I don't think he will have a problem with this soft white bread.
HomestyleWhiteBreadDecember6th2023.thumb.jpg.cd4cdf9d013cabf01d3f4b26eaf3aaa8.jpg
Moe just had one of the rolls while still warm with butter. 
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 4

Another boule but baked in a deep Corningware casserole.  This is a 400g loaf, it usually hits the glass cover before twenty five minutes.  I’ve jerry rigged other covers but it generally isn’t very efficient. This one stuck to the banneton but still rose to the occasion!

IMG_5190.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 3

CrustyEnglishBloomerBreadDecember12th2023Threeloaves.thumb.jpg.1682367efd20d44bb80cfc945f0a5c55.jpg
Crusty English Bloomer Bread (left sliced side down, middle a whole wheat version, and right, the second white.

This bread is new to me. Someone on a FB group posted about this bread.

I went searching for a recipe for this bread and found a couple.
I went with two different recipes. One using a pate fermentee and my regular bread flour and one that was a Whole Wheat version.
The first batch was a 1000g of flour, and a 200g pate fermentee, at 63% hydration,
5 g of yeast and 15g of salt (I've reduced the salt in my breads by 50% for lower sodium).
I adapted the recipe from Culinary Explosion who used a poolish in his dough.
I already had the pate fermentee in the fridge for a couple of days so that is what I used. 
I cut off another 200g piece of dough for future doughs and it went into the fridge and what was left was divided half and
CrustyEnglishBloomerBreadDecember12th20231.thumb.jpg.6966c437c4dbc2f7d0aa13b516548989.jpg
made two very large loaves of bread.
CrustyEnglishBloomerBreadslicedDecember12th20232.thumb.jpg.e29259a1efa902a76b20c619ecd2c1d8.jpg
The crust is a beautiful colour and "crusty" and the crumb surprised me. Sliced while not quite cold,it was nice and soft with holes
and the shine I usually get on baguettes and doughs with very little yeast.
CrustyEnglishBloomerBreadslicedDecember12th20233.thumb.jpg.85a8b060ce1457710ebe96adbfb0856a.jpg
I wasn't expecting an open crumb.
Moe had two slices buttered and Matt ate the heel.
CrustyWholeWheatEnglishBloomerBread.thumb.jpg.4d80cdcb2fc8f9c51d357f32fee721ef.jpg
The second batch - Whole wheat was from a different source and
it was 400g bread flour with 100g of Whole Wheat , I used 8g of salt, 5 g of yeast (although this recipe called for 7) and again at 63%.

Crusty English Bloomer Bread December 12th, 2023.jpg

Crusty English Bloomer Bread sliced December 12th, 2023 1.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 5

• 2 weeks later...
I had a pate Fermentee in the fridge for a few days. I actually couldn't remember how long it had been in the fridge, but probably five days.
It smelled wonderful so I weighed it and it weighed 6 oz, so fed it the same way that I feed my sourdough starter.
Assumed it needed refreshing. 
I added 3oz of flour and 3 oz of bottled water and left it on the counter to rise.

SourdoughPateFermenteeDecember24th2023.thumb.jpg.fe0e6b2a50355670070616a3f98795a8.jpg
When I got home from work it had doubled so it went into the fridge until last evening.
So in the fridge since Sunday evening.
I added it to 1000g of flour, 1.5g of yeast, 16g of salt (reduced sodium diet) and 640g of water.
After the last stretch and fold, the dough was left on the counter overnight until 3:00 this morning.
SourdoughBaguettesDecember28th20231.thumb.jpg.efca3be1d98e88b538084bda5668d591.jpg
Today's bake.
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 2