• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

Kerry was out for lunch with a friend so I am trying to stay out of trouble in the townhouse this afternoon.  I have tossed a sweet potato into the CSO for Kira's dinner this evening and I am going to see if I can finesse my way through Anthony Bourdain's recipe for Coquilles St. Jacque.  Have made it countless times before but always in the comfort of my own kitchen. This time my biggest challenge might be finding something to replace my scallop shells. Or it may be realizing that there are not enough scallops and I need to supplement with some shrimp making it no longer Coqulles. But seafood, mushrooms, wine, a bechamel with some aged Gruyere....   I ask you does it matter what it is called? 

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Nope.  the bete noire of eG.  ; le name of le dish

after all , properly prepared Singapore Noodles do not require a trip to Singapore !

etc.

after all    Coquilles St. Jacque a la Parisienne

Coquilles St. Jacque a la parisienne

is one of the most exceptional dishes ever created.  add what you have

you of course have looked the CSJ's over for that tendon ?

Id not worry on the shell.  Id pay more attention to its taste and texture

after all, those shells, unless you have a Gros.  are pretty small !

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Nope.  the bete noire of eG.  ; le name of le dish

after all , properly prepared Singapore Noodles do not require a trip to Singapore !

etc.

after all    Coquilles St. Jacque a la Parisienne

Coquilles St. Jacque a la parisienne

is one of the most exceptional dishes ever created.  add what you have

you of course have looked the CSJ's over for that tendon ?

Id not worry on the shell.  Id pay more attention to its taste and texture

after all, those shells, unless you have a Gros.  are pretty small !

Yup. Took care of that damn muscle. Not so much that I care about scallop shells but rather a suitable dish that is large enough to accommodate a decent amount, shallow enough to put under the broiler and be sure everything heats all the way through and attractive enough to bring to the table (even if the table is two white TV trays).

Wow. If I didn't know the dish the images that you linked to would hardly draw me into it.  I always thought it an attractive as well as tasty dish.  We shall have to see tonight.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

...  seafood, mushrooms, wine, a bechamel with some aged Gruyere....   I ask you does it matter what it is called? 

:B Yum is yum whatever it is named.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

@Anna N  

""  a suitable dish that is large enough to accommodate a decent amount "":

consider this :

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/bradshaw-large-rectangular-3-qt-ceramic-baking-dish-in-red/1045335419?Keyword=large+dishes

you would have to be prepared for Seconds !

BTW  Earthqyake as you see on the Upper Left, went Nuts when i make Scallops in CA

i had a fine FishMonger, very fresh  in MenloPark and back then affordable.

Mr.E as he was known  dod not just go Nuts for the Scallops, but got those tendons that I peeled off.

Much Noisy Cat Chewing and dancing  when he got them !

BTW  :  if you have a Nutmeg  In-the-Nut  consider a tiny bit Micro-shaved into the Bechamel after you mice plane a bit into the sink first.

"""  If its White, consider a tiny bit of fresh grated Nutmeg """

MY motto.   I have many 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N  

""  a suitable dish that is large enough to accommodate a decent amount "":

consider this :

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/bradshaw-large-rectangular-3-qt-ceramic-baking-dish-in-red/1045335419?Keyword=large+dishes

you would have to be prepared for Seconds !

BTW  Earthqyake as you see on the Upper Left, went Nuts when i make Scallops in CA

i had a fine FishMonger, very fresh  in MenloPark and back then affordable.

Mr.E as he was known  dod not just go Nuts for the Scallops, but got those tendons that I peeled off.

Much Noisy Cat Chewing and dancing  when he got them !

BTW  :  if you have a Nutmeg  In-the-Nut  consider a tiny bit Micro-shaved into the Bechamel after you mice plane a bit into the sink first.

"""  If its White, consider a tiny bit of fresh grated Nutmeg """

MY motto.   I have many 

Damn forgot the nutmeg but my mind had gone into a tailspin when I couldn't find the Gruyere. I was muttering under my breath  "trust but verify" doesn't apply only to nuclear armaments but also to cheese.  But there it was as promised and it is outstanding.  Only the tiniest pieces found their way onto my taste buds, honest.  So now all is prepared and ready to go under the broiler.   The dish you linked to is just a tiny bit too big for me. Just a tiny bit.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, RobertM said:

I wasn't trying to spend all of your retirement; but I do know the love of new toys 

We do indeed love new toys and it wouldn't take much to spend all of my retirement.:D 

I love being introduced to new toys even ones that will never make it into my kitchen.  I would be a more than willing guinea pig to test fly one of those things.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

We have been green with envy at all the tomatoes the gardeners have been bragging about. But look at these beauties

image.jpeg

Grown by our downstairs neighbours in a container. 

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

Not that it matters since you solved the dish problem but there was (and possibly still is) a restaurant near where my mom lived that served their Coquilles St. Jacques in crepes. It was used to fill the crepes which were topped with more of the sauce and some gruyere and tossed under the broiler. Not traditional but they were tasty.

• Like 7

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

39 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Not that it matters since you solved the dish problem but there was (and possibly still is) a restaurant near where my mom lived that served their Coquilles St. Jacques in crepes. It was used to fill the crepes which were topped with more of the sauce and some gruyere and tossed under the broiler. Not traditional but they were tasty.

Bet they would be delicious.  I will try to keep that in mind. 

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_2872.jpg

IMG_2873.jpg

IMG_2875.jpg

IMG_2876.jpg

Lunch was with Lisabeth of Ultimate Chocolate Blog fame. She brought me some goodies from her garden and some of her fabulous new bean to bar products. The Cacao Cookie is one of my faves.  

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Bet they would be delicious.  I will try to keep that in mind. 

On the downside, it adds the whole having to make crepes thing to the equation. But they were good. My mom worked at that restaurant when I was a kid which is why I'm in possession of their "top secret", locally famous at that time, chocolate pie recipe.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

there are not enough scallops and I need to supplement with some shrimp making it no longer Coqulles. But seafood, mushrooms, wine, a bechamel with some aged Gruyere....   I ask you does it matter what it is called? 

How about Coquilles et Amis St.-Jacques?   Or of course:

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Seafood St Jacques

Looks delicious by any name!

22 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

How about Coquilles et Amis St.-Jacques?   Or of course:

Looks delicious by any name!

Thanks but I was hoping for something more. Guess bread crumbs and cheese are not truly photogenic. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thanks but I was hoping for something more. Guess bread crumbs and cheese are not truly photogenic. 

I see your point.  Apparently my judgement was influenced by the knowledge that scallops, shrimp and mushrooms are lurking beneath those bread crumbs.  Or maybe all that buttery bread got in the way of my critical thinking.  It happens...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Smithy said:

Pricey, indeed!  It may be wonderful when it comes out, but it's designed for someone else's budget.

I must admit that when I followed the link in RobertM's post and got to the photograph with the 3-step labels, the sight brought me up short for a moment.  Item #2 ("June identifies the food with its in-ceiling camera, weighs it, and recommends a cooking program.") reminds me of the Nutri-Matic on the Starship Heart of Gold:

xD

--from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams (longer excerpt here at Good Reads)

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpg

So much unwanted excitement around the townhouse this morning. Seems our a/c system has sprung a leak and water is getting into the lower unit. How many nosy neighbours does it take to figure this out? Through it all Kerry continued baking cookies!  

I managed to to make a cheese and tomato melt just before the hordes appeared. Could be a long, long day.  

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

Sour cream cookies - hermit variation for ER today

IMG_2881.jpg

Apparently the flood downstairs is our fault - or perhaps it's my ability to remain calm while those around me are losing their heads that made him think that I didn't give a rats ass about the flood.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 14

Doesn't look like much will be happening in the kitchen today as the a/c unit with the leak is in a closet in there and men seem to be moving in and out at every turn. Hoping to make chicken thighs and garden fresh vegetables for dinner though. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog