• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

Grew up with Miracle Whip (as well as Hellmann's and homemade) because my father LOVES Miracle Whip!

I haven't had it in 25+ years, but liked it with some stuff.

Hellmann's isn't as good as it used to be....unfortunately, they've changed the formula...pretty much sucks now!!!

Kewpie is interesting...tastes kinda like a rich umami* laden Miracle Whip without the sweetness.

*MSG alert.

• Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

@Kerry Beal  Did Kira enjoy going sailing?

Kira has been sailing pretty much all her life - and does seem to enjoy it immensely! The feet kick, the arms flail - yup she likes it!

• Like 12

Some things just call out for Miracle Whip. Without its extra tang, many things are very bland in my humble opinion. I too grew up with the stuff and though I cringe when I buy it (due to being able to actually read the label now - something I never did as a child), for me it is one of the few heavily processed evils I will not treat as a sin. I am on the Kerry team on this one.

• Like 2

IMG_2565.jpg

So we had a little thunder and lightening and pouring rain while we were waiting for our dinner guest. 

IMG_2568.jpg

Thai red curry with lychee and pineapple. Served over sticky rice. 

Our guest was another locum doc that comes from Tel Aviv to work a weeks worth of shifts then fly back. He was in the ER today and was able to sneak out for 45 minutes or so to join us for dinner. 

• Like 11

IMG_2571.jpg

The bag of milk chocolate was sitting on top of a bunch of stuff in the back of the vehicle - guess it got a little warm - the bag is sort of one big 5 kg lump. Thank god for the EZtemper!

IMG_2572.jpg

Laid out some pieces of black garlic and kosher salt.

IMG_2573.jpg

Drizzled with a combination of dark and milk chocolate.

I also made a bark with an Ancho Expresso BBQ rub - heading off to Sudbury tomorrow and we have to have goodies for the folks at the restaurant supply.

• Like 6

I'm picturing not mentioning there is garlic in the bark and having a camera at the ready and aimed towards their faces when they take a bite. :D

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Unless the pieces of garlic are huge (which means people might question the texture) I wonder if it will really be 'definable' as garlic to most people once buried in chocolate. It doesn't have the sharp bite or obvious smell/taste of raw garlic in my opinion.

So ... how does it taste, Kerry?

This is what the waitress at Nairn Center, who is not going to get a tip, just brought Anna and I. In spite of the fact that we both ordered something different.

image.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

This is what the waitress at Nairn Center, who is not going to get a tip, just brought Anna and I. In spite of the fact that we both ordered something different.

So at least she didn't show favoritism... she messed up both orders. :P

3 hours ago, Deryn said:

Unless the pieces of garlic are huge (which means people might question the texture) I wonder if it will really be 'definable' as garlic to most people once buried in chocolate. It doesn't have the sharp bite or obvious smell/taste of raw garlic in my opinion.

I have zero experience with black garlic (though I may decide to remedy that via using Kerry's process to make my own), I just assumed it still maintains some aspect of it's garlic-ness.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Tere - Anna say's to tell you that it's almost as vile as Salad Cream.

So I was getting the folks at Stop Restaurant Supply to look up some pans for baking Kouign Aman when I heard the girls over on the other side talking about the chocolate - one of them had figured out it was garlic which I thought was interesting.

First stop in Sudbury this am was the liquor store to restock a couple of items and see if we could find anything new and interesting. We went to National Grocers (aka Loblaw's Warehouse Club) - that was very disappointing. Next stop Stop, then Value Village, Jarrett and Salvation Army. We were heading to Homesense next but ran into construction which allowed us another grocery store and liquor store stop. Then the Pet Save Re"Tail" Thrift Store - which is a thrift store that supports the Lively Animal Shelter, Food Basics, Homesense and finally Costco. Of course now we had frozen food and were famished so dinner was sadly what Costco had to offer.

IMG_2575.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

IMG_2577.jpg

Poutine, sausage in a bun, hot dog.

• Like 10

IMG_2579.jpg

The first stuff unpacked from the cooler, picture taken quickly, then bunged in fridge/freezer. Look at those lovely mango's from Israel. They have some smell!

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Deryn said:

So ... how does it taste, Kerry?

Like slightly garlicy raisins.

• Like 2

image.jpeg

Coconut milk, lychees, avocados, napa cabbage, scallions, cherries, tahini, black kalamata and green stuffed olives. 

image.jpeg

Mulitgrain crackers, bananas, almonds, pecans, poato chips, yeast, daikon, portabellas, huge lemons.

image.jpeg

3 plates ( so you are not bored with my photographs of my meals!), potato masher, small pizza stones, tandoori masala (usually make my own), and a cook book from Real Simple.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

image.jpeg

But at the moment, I must say, that looks pretty good to me.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Just now, JoNorvelleWalker said:

But at the moment, I must say, that looks pretty good to me.

True - nothing actually wrong with the food after we put up with the abuse and the wait - but it is hard to enjoy when you are mad as hell! And it would have been better if it were what we had ordered.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

True - nothing actually wrong with the food after we put up with the abuse and the wait - but it is hard to enjoy when you are mad as hell! And it would have been better if it were what we had ordered.

Did you bring the oversight to her attention?  What was the abuse?

I'm reminded that a patron this afternoon threw down his items and stormed out of our library for reasons I still do not understand.

Edit:  at least nobody shot me.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Like slightly garlicy raisins.

Hmmm... maybe I won't bother after all. I'm not at the top of the raisin fan club. Not sure if a hint of garlic would be enough to win me over.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Hmmm... maybe I won't bother after all. I'm not at the top of the raisin fan club. Not sure if a hint of garlic would be enough to win me over.

I think you need to try some before you write it off entirely - do you like sun dried tomatoes? I consider those raisiny too.

2 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I think you need to try some before you write it off entirely - do you like sun dried tomatoes? I consider those raisiny too.

I like sun dried tomatoes. They're not something I make frequent use of, I don't find them quite that exciting, but I like them. I'll give the garlic a shot. I wasn't curious enough to spend the money to order it but I'm willing to buy a couple heads of garlic and toss them in the tank.