• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

3 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I like sun dried tomatoes. They're not something I make frequent use of, I don't find them quite that exciting, but I like them. I'll give the garlic a shot. I wasn't curious enough to spend the money to order it but I'm willing to buy a couple heads of garlic and toss them in the tank.

Don't forget the drying step too - I think it's integral to getting the right end point.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Did you bring the oversight to her attention?  What was the abuse?

I'm reminded that a patron this afternoon threw down his items and stormed out of our library for reasons I still do not understand.

Edit:  at least nobody shot me.

So Jeremy's is a diner/truck stop at Nairn Centre and a place to stop for breakfast on the road to Sudbury. You seat yourself and we sat at the only free booth. It had not yet been bussed so we gathered all of the dirty dishes toward the edge of the table to make it very obvious that we were not just lingering but were new arrivals. We were studiously ignored. After about 10 mins I called out "Excuse me" to a passing server. Again I was ignored. I got up and approached the pass and grabbed 2 menus and received dirty looks from a couple of servers picking up their orders. Took the menus back to our booth. We selected our breakfast choices and waited. And waited. At this point it would have been wise to simply get up and leave but there is little else in terms of eateries between there and Sudbury (1 hr+ away). Eventually a server came over and said "I'll take your drinks order."  Really. It's breakfast not the cocktail hour. I asked for coffee and Kerry asked for tea with lots of milk. Kerry indicated we were ready with our breakfast order but was cut short by the server who was not ready to take it! The server sort of bussed the table but left behind her cleaning rag. 

We waited and we waited. We watched another server offering coffee refills. Our server passed our booth serving others and said "I'm just waiting for coffee to brew."  Really?  After yet another wait she showed up at our table with two cups of coffee. No tea. Kerry objected politely and the server was about to argue when Kerry pointed out that she had asked for lots of milk. She eventually returned with tea and this time took our order. We waited as diners who arrived after us were given their meals. We waited. As our server passed our booth yet again without acknowledging our existence I asked "How is our breakfast coming along."  I was rewarded with a curt, "It's coming." 

Shortly after she delivered our meals with a very pointed, "See, I told you it was coming". (There was no doubt in our minds that the server knew exactly what she was doing in playing her little power game.)

Kerry pointed out that I has ordered "eggs sunny" and they were obviously not so. The server seemed about to offer a replacement but my patience was gone and I muttered something about not wanting to spend my day there. 

We ate quickly and as we left another server gave Kerry eye contact and a look that acknowledged she had understood what was going on. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Years ago when I (and the earth) was (were) young, I was 'taught' that the correct tip to leave when the service was atrocious was 1 penny. Not sure the younger waitstaff crowd knows that 'signal' as a deliberate rebuke but I still do that to this day (though luckily I haven't had to employ that strategy much in the past few years).

In addition, if I were treated as you were in the above scenario, I usually would have asked for the manager (and not left till he/she presented herself and heard the full story). I know one may just be tempted to get the heck out of there and try to forget how bad it was - and I have done that too (but then written the manager to explain the situation). Can't say I have had much real satisfaction in terms of promises for staff to behave in a much more courteous way to be honest (if staff act like that, it is often because management allows it unfortunately), but, I think the bit of fight was worth it nonetheless. These days I guess there are other ways to express one's honest opinion about the service - even smaller places may have an online presence (or a tripadvisor mention perhaps) you can comment on, etc.- and of course you can tell a million friends (as you have done here on eGullet - duly noted ... that place will never be on MY list of stops).

Sorry you had that experience. I hope the other server said something to the manager if you didn't. Glad though that at least someone acknowledged they had seen what had transpired.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Tere - Anna say's to tell you that it's almost as vile as Salad Cream.

:D

(I'm not much of a fan of salad cream either)

• Like 1

And so back to our regularly scheduled programming. 

image.jpeg

Breakfast is Saint Agur, and cretons with pickled onions on Ak-Mak crackers. Kerry brought up a bonanza of marvellous and unusual cheeses and I actually had one in my hand but my Puritanical upbringing would not allow me to open a new cheese until I finish the old one. I approach this very differently if a cheese tray is involved!

But even before I made breakfast I cut up the Napa cabbage and it is now salted.   This is the first step in the mak kimchi-making process. I will do my best to document the steps although I suspect I may have done this before on Manitoulin. 

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Deryn said:

Years ago when I (and the earth) was (were) young, I was 'taught' that the correct tip to leave when the service was atrocious was 1 penny. Not sure the younger waitstaff crowd knows that 'signal' as a deliberate rebuke but I still do that to this day (though luckily I haven't had to employ that strategy much in the past few years).

In addition, if I were treated as you were in the above scenario, I usually would have asked for the manager (and not left till he/she presented herself and heard the full story). I know one may just be tempted to get the heck out of there and try to forget how bad it was - and I have done that too (but then written the manager to explain the situation). Can't say I have had much real satisfaction in terms of promises for staff to behave in a much more courteous way to be honest (if staff act like that, it is often because management allows it unfortunately), but, I think the bit of fight was worth it nonetheless. These days I guess there are other ways to express one's honest opinion about the service - even smaller places may have an online presence (or a tripadvisor mention perhaps) you can comment on, etc.- and of course you can tell a million friends (as you have done here on eGullet - duly noted ... that place will never be on MY list of stops).

Sorry you had that experience. I hope the other server said something to the manager if you didn't. Glad though that at least someone acknowledged they had seen what had transpired.

Yep.  Coulda, shoulda, woulda  but then the story would have been too boring to bother sharing! xDxD  and the Canadian mint put quite the kibosh on the penny tip since we no longer have pennies and a nickel would surely not have the same effect that close to Sudbury. xDxD

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

So I started out with the Napa cabbage which weighed, give or take, 4lbs. Cored up it filled two bowls like this

image.jpeg

After it had been salted for one and a half hours with attention every 30 minutes two bowls shrank down to this

image.jpeg

While the cabbage was enjoying itssalt bath I made a porridge of sweet rice flour water and sugar.  I cooled this down then added the Korean hot pepper flakes.

image.jpeg

I had also made a slurry of garlic, ginger, a couple of shallots and fish sauce in the mini food processor.  I made some  julienned daikon, carrots and scallions. 

After one and a half hours cabbage was thoroughly rinsed and drained and then all the bits and pieces were combined.

image.jpeg

Wearing gloves I gave everything a thorough massage before stuffing it into sterilized jars.

image.jpeg

note the neat burpable lids (a gift from Kerry's recent perilous travels).    

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

I may have to give your process a shot. I've attempted kimchi 3 times now and never got a satisfactory result. The first time, there was no fermentation. Based on a  taste test, I strongly suspected I'd over salted so I tried another batch with much more care given to the salting process. Again, no fermentation. It made for a fairly tasty veggie condiment but was definitely not kimchi. Attempt three was the "if it doesn't work this time, screw it" point. It did better than both previous attempts, there was some light fermentation beginning to happen... then it just stopped and went no further. It was the closest thing to kimchi I've managed to produce but still wasn't there. I used the same recipe all three times which doesn't show a lot of intelligence I guess but I really don't think it was the recipe. Not sure what the problem actually was. But this rice porridge method looks interesting so maybe it's worth another shot. I still have plenty of the Korean chile flakes left.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

34 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I may have to give your process a shot. I've attempted kimchi 3 times now and never got a satisfactory result. The first time, there was no fermentation. Based on a  taste test, I strongly suspected I'd over salted so I tried another batch with much more care given to the salting process. Again, no fermentation. It made for a fairly tasty veggie condiment but was definitely not kimchi. Attempt three was the "if it doesn't work this time, screw it" point. It did better than both previous attempts, there was some light fermentation beginning to happen... then it just stopped and went no further. It was the closest thing to kimchi I've managed to produce but still wasn't there. I used the same recipe all three times which doesn't show a lot of intelligence I guess but I really don't think it was the recipe. Not sure what the problem actually was. But this rice porridge method looks interesting so maybe it's worth another shot. I still have plenty of the Korean chile flakes left.

Here's  the recipe I riffed off. Adjusted measurements to account for my 4 pounds of cabbage and skipped the raw seafood bit. It may well be authentic  but not something I can or choose to add   I think it's important to leave the jars at room temperature for a day or two until you begin to see some evidence of bubbles and hence fermentation happening before stuffing them in the refrigerator.  I think the porridge is hugely important  so that the seasonings adhere to the cabbage. I know it can be done without the porridge step but it is not difficult at all.  Do try again because as you know kimchi  lasts almost forever  and can help you last almost as long!  (So "they" say.)

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

I'll give it a shot. I did leave mine at room temp each time. For almost a week with the first batch and it never fermented, went off, molded or anything else. I ate some of it, nothing dangerous had happened. That convinced me that batch must have been as over salted as I suspected. It was practically sterile I think.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

image.jpeg

Slupper ( A combination of lunch and supper). Almost Cuban  picadillo from the New York Times. Orzo instead of rice, currants instead of raisins,  cinnamon stick instead of ground cinnamon and a few missing spices.  You do what you can do with what you have (or what you can find).  This old gray mare ain't what she used to be -- endurance and patience come in tiny packages these days. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_2585.jpg

IMG_2587.jpg

Called to the ER for an acute MI - left Anna in charge of my rising loaf. Perfectly adequate crumb - but we binned it because we need to get some fresher grains. 

• Like 5

Just dropped off by one of my favourite nurses. She's been out picking all day. They are small and not very abundant this year - so I am particularly chuffed that we were given this honour!

IMG_2589.jpg

Now - what shall I make first?

• Like 14

They haven't started ripening here yet, from what I've been told. I very seriously doubt I'll be out getting them this year.

55 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Just dropped off by one of my favourite nurses. She's been out picking all day. They are small and not very abundant this year - so I am particularly chuffed that we were given this honour!

IMG_2589.jpg

Now - what shall I make first?

I hope the acute MI patient is ok.  I have an acute fear of hospitals so I feel for that person.

OH those berries are awesome.  The first thing I would make?  Pancakes.  More berries than batter :) 

Then I'd have as many fresh as I could with cream...or yogurt.

Then I would save some if I could ...and had...one of those freeze dry machines.

Then, if there were any left I'd make a syrup or a jam and can it.

• Like 5

IMG_2590.jpg

Blueberry Boy Bait - Smitten Kitchen via Cooks Country via Pillsbury Bakeoff 1957.

Was supposed to be baked in a 9 by 13 pan - where do you suppose that has disappeared to? I looked back to the fall blog - looks like the last thing I made in it was gingerbread for rounds on the Tuesday after the long weekend of Thanksgiving. Perhaps I didn't bring it home. Called over to the hospital - they can't find it in the break room - tomorrow I'll go check the kitchen at the hospital.

• Like 13

15 hours ago, Anna N said:

Kerry pointed out that I has ordered "eggs sunny" and they were obviously not so. The server seemed about to offer a replacement but my patience was gone and I muttered something about not wanting to spend my day there. 

We ate quickly and as we left another server gave Kerry eye contact and a look that acknowledged she had understood what was going on. 

Wow.  What I wonder was the woman's problem?  I can hardly imagine such unpleasantness in restaurants here...if only because serving "eggs sunny" in this state is illegal.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Wow.  What I wonder was the woman's problem?  I can hardly imagine such unpleasantness in restaurants here...if only because serving "eggs sunny" in this state is illegal.

We won't likely become neighbours then. :o:o

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

20 hours ago, Anna N said:

Yep.  Coulda, shoulda, woulda  but then the story would have been too boring to bother sharing! xDxD  and the Canadian mint put quite the kibosh on the penny tip since we no longer have pennies and a nickel would surely not have the same effect that close to Sudbury. xDxD

I have a huge jar of pennies (mixed US and Can) that I am too lazy to even sort out, much less try to turn in for larger bits of currency. I was brought up being told that one should never give a gift of a wallet or a knife without including a penny with it. I never give wallets any more but knives are still a possibility so perhaps some day I will still have a use for at least 4 or 5 of them. And maybe a few more for those rare occasions when bad service makes me want to scream out loud and run for the door, but my Canadian upbringing keeps me from blowing my top overtly. Otherwise I guess (unless I make a countertop out of them) they are just a pretty paperweight now. I have begun refusing pennies for change when I am in the US too so I won't accumulate too many more.

JoNorvelleWalker - Are poached eggs illegal in NJ too? If the rationale for no 'sunny side up' eggs is that they may be dangerously uncooked then I would assume that poached eggs also fall under that banner? NJ certainly has some very 'interesting' laws. Was reminded of that recently when I pulled off the highway while driving north and didn't even realize I was in NJ (strange little corner along I-84 I think where NY, NJ and PA meet) and went to pump my own gas and was severely reprimanded. Used to be though that one got 'full service' in NJ - but now it is ok apparently to clean one's own windshield ... just not pump one's own gas.

• Like 3

Good morning. Today's breakfast was a toasted English muffin with my favourite jam – – black currant.

image.jpeg

Kerry  has gone off to the hospital for rounds but when that is finished she will be off work until Wednesday. When she gets home we will head out to the flea market to see if we can replace her missing metal 9 x 13 baking pan, to pick up some staples for a heavy duty stapler she managed to find in a thrift store in Sudbury and I want to pick up some aluminum scoops I saw there.

After the fleamarket we will be heading out to Loonsong  to stock up on red Fife fllour, oats and whatever else looks appealing.   Then I expect we will stop in at the grocery store as there is no bacon in the house – – can you imagine?

From the smell I know that my kimchi is merrily fermenting away. When we get back from our travels I will need to find room to put it into the refrigerator.

I think we will sous vide some beautiful lamb chops and finish them off on the egg  and hope none of them get tossed over the balcony! 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

Off topic so I'll keep it short.  My Credit Union has a machine that counts change. It is also able to spot Canadian  coins and sets them aside.  I just assumed they were all like that...