• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bentley

Using a curd in molded chocolates

I was going through ideas for bonbons and was thinking a bon bon using a lemon curd as a filling layer.  I am curious if this would present shelf life issues.  The curd would be baked until set then piped.  Does anyone have any experience with this or water activity tests they've done?  

I can't help with your specific question, but one of my (favourite) fillings is a dark chocolate ganache made with 65-70% chocolate and lemon curd. I'm guessing that adding chocolate to the curd to make a ganache is only going to help shelf-life of the filling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I did Aw testing on some commercial curds for curls a while back - don't recall results but she might.

Will hunt down that Aw reading and report back... might not have time until this weekend.

18 hours ago, curls said:

Will hunt down that Aw reading and report back... might not have time until this weekend.

No hurry.  Thanks!

23 hours ago, gap said:

I can't help with your specific question, but one of my (favourite) fillings is a dark chocolate ganache made with 65-70% chocolate and lemon curd. I'm guessing that adding chocolate to the curd to make a ganache is only going to help shelf-life of the filling.

How much chocolate do you use?  Would a 1:1 ratio of chocolate to curd set up nicely (I'm using white chocolate for this recipe)?

Edited by Bentley (log)

Whether eggs should be included in a chocolate has been discussed widely.  Peter Greweling and Ewald Notter exclude all ganaches with egg from their books.  Jean-Pierre Wybauw does not but--in his recipes I have read--uses a very large amount of liquor with the eggs.  The best-seller at the famous Kee's Chocolates in New York has a creme brulee filling, but the owner supposedly tells customers to refrigerate it and consume it within a day.   As much as I would love to use custards in chocolates, I myself would not feel comfortable using eggs in a ganache unless I were preparing it for people who would eat it in front of me.  It is possible to get close to the texture of a custard-type filling with a butter ganache, which has a very long shelf life.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2016 at 9:58 PM, curls said:

The Aw reading was .86

Thanks for the info.  Looks like I will avoid the curds - at least until I am much more educated on shelf life issues.