• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tuna-Lasagna Advice

pufin3

I think I have a brainwave.

I make dinners for my daughter an RN for when she's at work. She can 'nuke' individual frozen portions.

She likes lasagna and she likes my tuna casserole.

I'm going make Tuna casserole lasagna!

I won't go into the recipe for the lasagna. I put it on a thread on this forum somewhere.

My question is what do you think is the best cheese to go with tuna?

Lots of tuna casserole recipes call for a topping of cheese. 

What cheese would you suggest please?

I

I think the traditional cheese topping, at least in the Upper Midwest of the USA, is shredded cheddar.  My husband and I are fond of feta cheese with tuna and noodles, but if the lasagna has a tomato sauce I'm not sure that would be compatible.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Tuna casserole for me also has some kind of crunchy crust topping which doesn't include cheese, but, I think you could do the same crumb crust with a bit of parmesan too. I am not sure I would mix that into the body of the casserole, but, cottage cheese/ricotta in the layered part (as for a traditional lasagne) would be fine.

I am wondering how often you make these two selections for your daughter because it seems to me that if you combine the two then you will also have to come up with something else or she may be fatigued eating the same combo casserole all the time.

Edited by Deryn (log)

I'm getting curious about this tuna lasagne. Does it have red sauce? Or is it more like a traditional tuna noodle casserole but using lasagne noodles and layering with traditional TNC ingredients? 

My family loves TNC. I'd be willing to try recreating it in the layered noodle style of lasagne.  My favorite parts of any TNC are the peas and mushrooms

Disclaimer : I also use the "magic mushroom powder" that has been discussed in another thread. I add this powder to the cream sauce before tossing with the other ingredients. (Basically it's dried powdered mushrooms, MSG and salt)

13 hours ago, pufin3 said:

I think I have a brainwave.

I make dinners for my daughter an RN for when she's at work. She can 'nuke' individual frozen portions.

She likes lasagna and she likes my tuna casserole.

I'm going make Tuna casserole lasagna!

I won't go into the recipe for the lasagna. I put it on a thread on this forum somewhere.

My question is what do you think is the best cheese to go with tuna?

Lots of tuna casserole recipes call for a topping of cheese. 

What cheese would you suggest please?

I

I have a favorite tuna noodle casserole which I think would translate well into a lasagna. It actually contains minimal tuna, which can be very strong-tasting when baked. It also has Campbells cream of mushroom soup, thinned with milk. Other ingredients are frozen peas, celery, onion, and grated parmesan cheese on top. If you want the recipe, which you could convert to a lasagna, and which could then be frozen and doled out to avoid monotony, let me know.

I once tried a recipe for another tuna casserole that won an award from a contest. Pretty sure that was on the Food52 site, and it was based on Amy's organic shells and white cheddar. Not horrible, but both my husband and I agreed that my old-fashioned recipe was much better.

Edit: forgot the jarred pimento ingredient. That makes this recipe, and I don't bother making it unless I have it on hand.

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

On 2/19/2016 at 2:42 PM, Smithy said:

I think the traditional cheese topping, at least in the Upper Midwest of the USA, is shredded cheddar.  My husband and I are fond of feta cheese with tuna and noodles, but if the lasagna has a tomato sauce I'm not sure that would be compatible.

On 2/19/2016 at 2:42 PM, Smithy said:

No tomato sauce at all.

On 2/20/2016 at 6:05 PM, Deryn said:

Tuna casserole for me also has some kind of crunchy crust topping which doesn't include cheese, but, I think you could do the same crumb crust with a bit of parmesan too. I am not sure I would mix that into the body of the casserole, but, cottage cheese/ricotta in the layered part (as for a traditional lasagne) would be fine.

I am wondering how often you make these two selections for your daughter because it seems to me that if you combine the two then you will also have to come up with something else or she may be fatigued eating the same combo casserole all the time.

Good point.

I make her a variety of other dishes though. Different fried rice dishes.

Sandwiches. Chicken parm. Hearty soups. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2016 at 2:22 AM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I have a favorite tuna noodle casserole which I think would translate well into a lasagna. It actually contains minimal tuna, which can be very strong-tasting when baked. It also has Campbells cream of mushroom soup, thinned with milk. Other ingredients are frozen peas, celery, onion, and grated parmesan cheese on top. If you want the recipe, which you could convert to a lasagna, and which could then be frozen and doled out to avoid monotony, let me know.

I once tried a recipe for another tuna casserole that won an award from a contest. Pretty sure that was on the Food52 site, and it was based on Amy's organic shells and white cheddar. Not horrible, but both my husband and I agreed that my old-fashioned recipe was much better.

Edit: forgot the jarred pimento ingredient. That makes this recipe, and I don't bother making it unless I have it on hand.

Thanks. I'll definitely use pimentos.

Aside: Over many years I've come to believe when someone who has made a certain dish says "don't bother making it unless you use......" has a very good reason for offering the advice.