• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making and Using Peanut Sprouts

cyalexa

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2015 at 5:50 AM, liuzhou said:

By the way, peanut sprouts are excellent.

On 11/29/2015 at 8:04 AM, cyalexa said:

I have some raw peanuts from the farmers market. I'm off to google sprouting instructions!

I have been munching on these but would be interested in other ways to use them. I searched here and googled but didn't find any recipes.

IMG_20151213_071216_179.jpg

8 minutes ago, cyalexa said:

I have been munching on these but would be interested in other ways to use them. I searched here and googled but didn't find any recipes.

I have only used them in salads and stir fries. 

5 hours ago, cyalexa said:

IMG_20151213_071216_179.jpg

Odd. I find 55 results with a few keystrokes.

https://forums.egullet.org/search/?type=all&q=%22raw+peanuts%22

I often use them in lotus root soups myself.

8 minutes ago, huiray said:

Odd. I find 55 results with a few keystrokes.

https://forums.egullet.org/search/?type=all&q=%22raw+peanuts%22

I often use them in lotus root soups myself.

Gosh since the topic is sprouted and they have tails I think the poster is looking for sprouted pnut ideas?

Edited by heidih (log)

Ah, but she didn't say so. she merely said she didn't find any recipes. Just-barely sprouting peanuts like those she shows should be usable in the recipes in the search results. She was munching on them. That suggests she wants a way to cook them - with recipes in hand.

Even the previous poster says she has used "them" in salads and stir-fries, without SPECIFYING that what she used were SPROUTING peanuts.

Edited by huiray (log)

In my post asking for ideas I quoted an earlier post referring to peanut sprouts, see below.

6 hours ago, cyalexa said:
On 11/16/2015 at 5:50 AM, liuzhou said:

By the way, peanut sprouts are excellent.

I searched "sprouted peanuts" and "peanut sprouts". 

Thank you FauxPas and heidih.

3 minutes ago, huiray said:

Ah, OK. Then what about this?

Thank you. I have seen most of these and they are for generally for salads, butters, and sweets. I didn't specify previously but was hoping to find a savory application other than a salad. 

cyalexa, I have ordered sprouting seeds from Sprout People for years and they have at least one mix with sprouting peanuts in them. That's where I first discovered them. I did order some for sprouting on their own (peanuts) and I loved munching on them but I never really investigated ways of cooking with them other than throwing them in salads and a couple of stir fries. It's been awhile, but i think I used them in a couple of spicy stir fries, both chicken and beef. That's probably not much help, as it's not very original, but you might check the user comments on the sprouting sites to see if anyone does anything more interesting!