• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cost/value of nursing a glass of water in a restaurant

gfron1

THIS article in Eater today has sparked quite the conversation among my friends.

Woman comes in with friends. Friends order, but woman just nurses a water. $3 for the water which was more than her friend's cake. Woman write nasty review and management responds. If we can set aside that the manager handled the situation poorly the question is - does that glass of water have expense/cost? Do the friends make up for the water-customer by their spending? 

On a related side note, my British friends are saying that there is no such thing as free water in Britain, so there is a cultural nuance that the rest of us should be aware of.

a also applaud the owner's response.

a glass of tap water might be different.  that's part of this culture.

not hot water w lemon.

does being on "a tight budget ' determine the final cost that a commercial establishment charges ?

should USA.gov issue coded IRS ID with marginal tax rates of the card holder and gross / taxable incomes ?

you swipe that in the Establishments Card Reader, and get an adjusted bill ?

Ms. Lemon Water should have declined the time with her friends is she chose not to afford it.

but if your thirsty in the country, you get a glass of water

variable rates, maybe, in California.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

I would not expect a cup of hot water, with lemon, to be free in the USA; it seems I've been charged for tea here under those circumstances.  If I'd asked for a glass of tap water I'd have been surprised at being charged, but your second link makes it clear that the York establishment would be within its rights to charge me when it's in 'Cafe' mode - although not in 'Bistro' mode, which may confuse tourists.

As for whether a glass of tap water should be free of charge, that seems more a judgment call.  If I come in alone, take up one of your tables and order nothing but water, I think I should pay something for the service and space I'm using.  If I'm part of a group that is otherwise ordering full meals, it seems to me that the better approach is for the staff to clear away most of my place setting (to be used elsewhere), then serve the water at no charge.  That's how our airport restaurant handles our weekly breakfast gang, who are regular and lucrative customers; one person drinking only water doesn't have a significant effect on the workload or overhead at that table.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I can see where allowing the water for free could lead to 'ghetto lemonade' (where people use a free glass of water, complimentary lemons and sugar to make a lemonade) and other concoctions like 'depression soup' (ketchup and hot water with free crackers). But, that said, I think better overall to just give people the water (hot/cold) and lemon for free. I would just think of it as goodwill advertising. The non-eating guest keeps a positive image of the place and at the very least won't spread nasty gossip about you, and might return to actually eat. I would say be mindful of why we refer to them as guests, not just customers or consumers. -Just as we like to be referred to as restaurateurs rather than vendors or manufacturers. Our transactions and interactions are far more complex than retail vending.

The industry itself is continually changing, and growing. When I was a kid, there were a lot fewer restaurants per capita. More and more, people eat out because it's easier for them to do so than cooking. (sorry, sad but true) These non-foodies have incorporated restaurants into more of their lives than any previous generations. So, now, instead of people getting dressed up to experience what the restaurateur is showcasing, they expect the restaurant to accommodate their life circumstances. Maybe a group has a going-away dinner for a friend moving to another country, but one friend is having a medical procedure in the morning and isn't allowed to eat. I think is normal now for that person to expect to attend the gathering and not have to hide at home as yesterday's etiquette would have demanded.

In addition to being mindful that many businesses owe their very existence to a societal shift of more people eating out, IMO, we should all remember of the lessons of the recent economic downturn that started in 2007. Guests have choices about where to eat and, IMO, if we don't keep thinking of their needs first, they can easily just grab a bite at another place down the street.

• Like 1

Basically, many people suck and feel entitled to freebies....just because.

If you disagree, you've never been in business with the public.

Am I sad that I feel this way?

Yes.

• Like 3