• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using garlic/ginger in stirfrys

bluesman13

I've always wondering about this. Just abut every Chinese cookbook I own, says to heat the wok to the highest setting

available (I use an electric cooktop with a flat bottomed wok), add the oil and when it begins to smoke, add the garlic (and ginger if required).  Everytime, the garlic burns in a matter of seconds. So, I turn the heat down low enough so the garlic doesn't burn, but I was under the impression that you want a very high heat to a. sear the meat, b. cook the vegetables quickly so they remain crisp tender, and lastly, c. evaporate the water out of the added sauce to concentrate the flavor.  Any commnets or suggestions? What do you do?

I'm sure someone who does more wok cooking will reply and give you a better answer, but this is my approach. I put oil in the pan/wok, add garlic and then heat it gently long enough that the oil is somewhat infused with the garlic. Then I remove the garlic and heat the oil for the actual stir fry. 

• Like 2

There is nothing wrong with adding garlic at the end of the cooking process.

Many french techniques, mushrooms for example, where a really high heat sear is required (which would destroy garlic) initially, but in the last 15-20 seconds, garlic and any other aromatics may be added for additional layers of flavour.

• Like 3

If it's literally a few seconds, I wonder if your wok is too hot. I'd lower the heat for that step -- and in any event, you probably wouldn't stir-fry them w/o other ingredients for more then 15-20 seconds, yes?

In some recipes, like this one, you add the garlic/ginger then immediately add some sauce and liquid. Sometimes you might even mix them together ahead of time, like here.

And yes, I'm pointing you in the direction of hzrt8w's wonderful pictorials on eG.

• Like 4

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

14 hours ago, Alex said:

If it's literally a few seconds, I wonder if your wok is too hot. I'd lower the heat for that step -- and in any event, you probably wouldn't stir-fry them w/o other ingredients for more then 15-20 seconds, yes?

This. You don't want to dice or mince the garlic/ginger. Just mash the garlic clove/so it's broken open (use slices of ginger), stir fry that and then remove it from the oil before it burns. If it burns the second you put it in the oil/wok, then it's far too hot. Start on a lower heat to flavor the oil. Remove the garlic and/or ginger. Once that's done, crank up the heat and start the stir fry. Make sure you use a high smoke point oil (like peanut) for your stir fry..

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

If your food is burning in seconds, your wok is too hot. Simple.

Most Chinese cooks will heat the empty wok then add oil and the garlic/ginger and briefly fry, keeping it moving all the time, then, when it smells fragrant, immediately add your meat or whatever. Again keep stirring and it shouldn't burn. If you really do think something is about to burn, add just a small splash of water - not cold oil. It will evaporate almost immediately but save your food from burning. Then turn the heat down.The idea that all wok cooking is done at full heat is a myth.

• Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Great to know there are so many people out there who like to stir-fry bu using a wok.

I have written a definite guide on stir-frying and is happy to contribute my understanding on this topic: 

The Definitive Guide To Stir-fry

Hope this article can provide all the questions raised in this foru,.

Thanks,

KP Kwan

blog - Definitive Guide To Stir Fry.png

• Like 1

My name is KP Kwan. I am a pharmacist turned restaurateur who lives in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I have worked in my restaurant more than ten years and since year 2012.

I am also a food blogger.  You can read my blog at http://tasteasianfood.com/

I am looking forward to learning and contributing topics about culinary skills in this forum.

On 02/03/2016 at 3:39 PM, kwankapang said:

Hi all,

Great to know there are so many people out there who like to stir-fry bu using a wok.

I have written a definite guide on stir-frying and is happy to contribute my understanding on this topic: 

The Definitive Guide To Stir-fry

Hope this article can provide all the questions raised in this foru,.

Thanks,

KP Kwan

Why is everything about beef? Is that the Malaysian influence?

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto