• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 2)

blue_dolphin

Host's note: this topic has been split to reduce load on our servers; the first part is here: Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Over (Part 1)

I've been using this machine to make myself some quick breakfast flatbreads and thought I'd share.

I usually keep Trader Joes whole wheat flatbreads on hand in the freezer so this is handy for me. Top with a little smear of sauce, a bit of leftover veg, maybe some carcinogenic bacon, a little cheese, make a little well in the middle and drop in an egg. 5-6 min on steam bake at 450 and the egg is nicely cooked with a soft yolk that can be sopped up with the rest of the bread. I'm impressed how nicely the egg cooks without any sort of dry skin forming on the top.

image.jpeg

That one had a bit of TJs red pepper & artichoke tapenade (a bit wet for this purpose), bell peppers and onions and mozzarella.

image.jpeg

Here we've got collard green pesto, mushrooms and mozzarella. I tried "pre cooking" the egg in some hot water in an attempt to get the egg cooked before the cheese gets so brown but (as could have been predicted by rotuts testing up thread) this just produced an unevenly cooked egg.

image.jpeg

This overcooked specimen has the same toppings as above, along with some bacon. I wandered away and started playing with my new computer so this one sat in the hot oven a couple minutes after the bell rang. Still a perfectly tasty breakfast but a reminder to pay attention to the bell.

I might try one more of these before I go back to broccoli smoothies for breakfast!

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 10

I wandered away and started playing with my new computer so this one sat in the hot oven a couple minutes after the bell rang. Still a perfectly tasty breakfast but a reminder to pay attention to the bell.

Maybe we can get Cuisinart, in addition to making the oven large enough for a quarter-sheet pan, make it WI-FI or Bluetooth controllable from your computer!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 10/30/2015 at 4:47 PM, weinoo said:

Maybe we can get Cuisinart, in addition to making the oven large enough for a quarter-sheet pan, make it WI-FI or Bluetooth controllable from your computer!

Yes, and I'm going to need the auto eject option so I can hit the eject button on my keyboard and my food will automatically come out of the oven :laugh: !

I forgot to mention that based on recommendations in the the bread/pizza peel topic, I purchased one of these 11 inch aluminum screens - less than 5 bucks.  I tried the 12 inch version.  It fits from front to back but conflicts with the shelf supports on the sides so it's not a good choice.  Anyway, these make it a bit easier to transfer a floppy flat bread with a raw egg on top into the little oven.  I tried adding the egg when it was already inside the oven but it wasn't that easy either.  One of these perforated pans might also be good ....but more than $5.

Here's today's version:

IMG_0173.jpg

A smear of TJ's Aioli Garlic Mustard, some broccoli and mushrooms and Cabot extra sharp cheddar.

• Like 3

Just made one for my DH's birthday breakfast.  Of course I had some baked winter squash in the fridge which went on there with some beef bacon (double the carcinogen) from our local sausage maker.  He really liked it but his egg white wasn't quite done , he ate it anyways....he's too impatient to put it back in for another minute :raz:

• Like 1

Wow, that was quick!  Too bad about the egg white.  I forgot to mention that the first time I tried this, I broke the egg into a strainer (as some folks do when poaching to get rid of any really loose egg white) as I was afraid it would run off the edge.  I don't know if it would or not, but I've continued to do that and it might affect the cooking time.  Also, except for the one I tried to "pre cook", the eggs were pretty close to room temp when I used them.

I don't   if the bread is fresh  i.e. still moist that moisture in enough to keep the bread from being over dry but still brown and crispy on the top layer only.

CSB toast is rather unique and every home baker would appreciate this.

its because the CSB is a sealed toaster  :  after you do your toast ( fresh bread ) there is a significant Puff of steam released when you open the door.

no   the CSB is a sealed 'box'  moisture from the fresh bread stays in the box until you open the door.   you get moist and brown and crunchy at the same time

you will notice the difference on the first bite.

the the BV and other toasters, the moisture is lost.

I never would have believed this would make any difference.  but it does.  for the much better in my view.

its the plain old toast function but in a sealed 'box'

'fresh' i.e. not stale  english muffins are a revelation  :  use the folk method to separate, etc and have plenty of butter ready.

'genereic' EM's  ( store brand ) are terrific this way    not so much BV'd or regular toasted

Edited by rotuts (log)

Just received the latest London Drugs flyer out here in British Columbia:  $229 is their current price, wow, that's the cheapest I've seen it in a long time.

We have been using ours to reheat leftovers a lot this week.  It does such a lovely job compared to the microwave.  Reason alone to get one.

Merry Christmas.

• Like 1

no toast ?

buy one just for that

just saying

if it came around again to me for what I paid for it

delivered     179   OK  180  Id buy another 

use it w an extension cord

not having enough Amps nor Watts in the kitchen itself

the SV went up stairs a long long time ago.

• 3 weeks later...

tracking software is new to me.  from todays NYTimes and Camelcamelcamel

track the CSB !

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Cuisinart-CSO-300-Combo-Convection-Silver/product/B00E6ZK8BQ?context=browse

be sure to add third party  ( the blue box on the Right )  CCC is primarily amazon, but you can add third parties

Edited by rotuts (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I did a second TurkeyBreastCook in the CSB w the second TB from my ( post ) Thanksgiving cook.

here is the BVXL thread that covers most of the initial work on the Stuffing and TB :

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/152342-thanksgiving-2015-after-action-reports/

# 21 and # 22

In the CSB  I used the same stuffing, in a slightly smaller but deeper re-usable cheep aluminum pan,

lined with parchment paper for easy clean up, and with a few rashers of Generic Bacon  I didn't want the

delicious and smokey flavor of the Benton's bacon I use on the TML's

I can't find that stuffing pic, but looked like this one  ( from the BVXL ) :

Suffing II.jpg

it just was a sl smaller pan, but deeper.   the bacon and stuffing in both preps were lightly hand torched.

similar flavor, faster in the CSB

the boned out turkey, w some generic bacon on top no skin :

TurkBacon.jpg

ready to go in the CSB

note the fit :

TurkBaconCSB.jpg

done :

TurkBaconCSB done.jpg

torched:

TurkBaconCSB Torched.jpg

and sliced :

TurkSeam II CSB.jpg

note the juicy-ness.   I didn't want to point this out on the PostThanks thread.  not all of us have a CSB or a 

ElectroLux  stam oven. 

[ ed.:  there is a hidden Quiz in the last pic ]

the TB was as good as it gets.  moist, tender, tendon less, and a hint of mild bacon flavor.

the way to go I think.

they chill nicely this time of year, outside.  then go into the fridge or are FZ for later sandwiches.

thats the plan at least.

BTW  :  the TB in the CSB, as you can see, was on the lowest rack, and not covered.  325 steam util 135 -140 Thermapen'd

then rested.  about 30 minutes, perhaps a bit more.  w steam, it does not dry out.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

5690118abd7b4_bonemarrow.jpg.387bb9fc511

20160108_141424.thumb.jpg.8e0aab879d8f49

Beautiful marrow bones (12 pieces for about 4.50) in a surprisingly upscale Giant in Prince Frederick near our beach house.  350 degrees steam bake for 30 minutes.  Got few tablespoons of beef fat as a bonus from roasting four pieces.

• Like 5