• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite vegetable

Broccolli would be my fav green veggie. A little butter or EVOO & some garlic and/or parmesan.

Then there's potatoes. I *love* mashed potatoes, doctored (garlic, cheese, whatever) or not.

I recently had baby bok choy that was very good. Just sauteed with some oyster sauce & garlic, apparently. I'll need to add it to my shopping list.

I'm now starting (again) to think about joining a veggie co-op so I have an excuse to try different veggies then my usual.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a terrific parsnip dish, especially for Belmont and Awbrig (adapted from Welsh cookbook writer Gilli Davies):

Peel, seed and dice one pound tomatoes.

Grate 6 oz. Teifi cheese (Welsh), if you can find it. If not, substitue Gouda.

Scrape and thinly slice (1/8" thick) two pounds of parsnips. Fry them in canola oil until lightly browned.

Butter a two-pint baking dish and put a layer of parsnips on bottom. Salt and pepper and drizzle with a little cream. Scatter a layer of tomatoes, a little more cream and some of the cheese. Keep layering, ending with cream and cheese. Top with about 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs. Dot with butter. Bake at 400 F. for 1/2 an hour.

We're having it tonight with roast leg of lamb.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Would you count seaweed as a vegetable?

I guess I should add nori to the list. I love it flash fried as tempura and served with a bowl of soba or udon, or toasted and crumbled atop sushi or other types of rice as a garnish along with some bonito flakes, chopped peanuts, minced scallions, sesame seeds and crispy shallots.

SA