• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Appliance Good Fortune

Porthos

Our small chest freezer has been dieing an inglorious slow death. Our Costco brought in an inexpensive 16 cubic foot upright for $500. It took a while for me to be ready to buy one. I went to Costco Friday night to make sure they still had some. They only had the floor model but had lowered the price to $450. When I went to pick it up Saturday morning they had lowered the price to $350 to get if sold. It is now in service and I am happy for $150 saved.

I grew up with a chest freezer and my DW and I have had both chest and upright freezers over the course of our marriage. As our age-related health issues continue to increase I can say that an upright freezer is much easier for us to use. Just emptying to cooler into the new freezer was much easier than unloaded the old one.

• Like 6

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I am with you on the upright freezer.  Some people claim that the chest types keep foods colder but I have two thermometers in mine, one hooked to one of the door shelves and the other in the center shelf. 

They indicate the desired temps, unless I have the door open for more than 5 minutes or so.

I have several of the wire baskets perfect for this type of freezer and it makes it so much easier to keep things rotating and easy to access - especially frozen stuff in bags that otherwise tend to slide around and get buried at the backs of shelves.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

We've had 55 years of nothing but chest freezers and still own two large ones...one for us and one for the dogs plus a few bits and bobs of human stuff, like the ice creams.  I'd kill for an upright freezer...but these old...and I do mean old...chest freezers just keep on keeping on so this is probably unlikely to be until we have to sell the farm and move into the city.  I hope.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Andiesenji, I really like the idea of the baskets. I was trying to think what I could use to contain and help organize stuff in the new freezer. Bask8 had not crossed my mind.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;