• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vanilla with a cinnamon taste?

kayb

Is anyone out there familiar with Danncy vanilla extract? I bought some of their clear vanilla extract recently, and I've noticed it has a distinct taste and smell of cinnamon about it. I think this is the first vanilla extract I've ever bought that is produced/bottled in Mexico. Generally I don't mind a bit of cinnamon, but there are baked products where I just don't want that flavor introduced at all.

The website is little help; it's mostly a vehicle for ordering the product.

Any insight out there? Mostly, I'm just curious.

vanilla 1.jpg

vanilla 2.jpg

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

It says with big letters that it doesnt contain coumarin, which is part of the flavouring in tonka beans and cinnamon, to me this is odd.  Proper vanilla doesn't contain coumarin  so why do they have that on the bottle?

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Did you read the ingredient list before you bought it?  It contains a lot of junk that's not found in good vanilla extract. A decent vanilla extract should contain only vanilla beans, alcohol, and water.

... Shel

Honestly, I didn't read the ingredient list. I saw pure vanilla extract, and it was at the specialty store where I buy a lot of my spices and so forth, so I went ahead and grabbed it. (It was $8.65 for a 355-ml bottle, which I thought was in line for what vanilla extract ought to cost in the grocery), and it was the only brand they had, although they did have both the brown and the clear. I figured it'd be better, all things being equal, to have the clear, so it wouldn't discolor the rare things that I bake with egg whites only and no other colorant. 

Like btbyrd, I figured if it said "pure vanilla extract," that's what it meant. My bad. Guess I'll wind up chunking this and back to the grocery store to get vanilla!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I don't have anything recent but this company has been cited in the past and imports seized by the FDA for  failure to list the actual ingredients in products intended for human consumption.

My Mexican neighbor said that she would not buy any product from this company for various reasons, including phony ingredients and also because the company has bad employment practices - although she would not elaborate.

Here is a notice from 2009  scroll down to the Mexico listings.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

You know, you can get cheap, B-grade (short, oddly shaped but tasty) beans on eBay and use them to make gallons of your own extract. I've still got a large (several half-pounds of various types) stash of beans (vacuum sealed, in a cool dark cupboard) from a couple of years ago and several quart jars of extract. -Even after giving away many fancy pint jars of it as gifts.

• Like 2