• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hollandaise in Microwave

gulfporter

If I'm in a hurry I just nuke the butter to boiling, and then whisk it into the egg yolk mayonnaise-style. Takes 45-60 seconds to heat the butter, depending on your microwave, and the same or less to make the Hollandaise. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Lol!

It's all about the robot coupe for hollandaise. I can make several quarts in the time it takes me to melt butter.

So I can make 1-2 servings of hollandaise and all I need are an egg yolk, a pat of butter, some lemon juice, white pepper and a $1,000 machine?

LOL indeed. :smile:

I pride myself on the fact that I've made hollandaise in a tiny saucepan over direct heat, but this sounds like a better way - if it works - the butter to yolk ratio seems a bit low.  But I'll be trying this soon.

Edited by IndyRob (log)

I was not denigrating making hollandaise in the micro. I would never make that way only because that is a sauce I only make at work or for something like Easter when I am going to do a lot. Just pointing out that there are a million ways to do it and it's more forgiving than it is often portrayed. 

Yeah, I make hollandaise in a small saucepan on direct heat too, but just don't get a call of nature when you have a dozen useless guests drinking and gabbing and you can't ask any of them to stir for a minute while your gone.

This happened  over 20 years ago, but it's etched in my brain.

My brother was mad at me over it. It was the last of the eggs, but he was the main drinker/yapper.  :smile:

Edited to delete "drinking" before guests because it was also after guests, but you get the idea, and all other times I've been successful with the method.

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)

> ^ . . ^ <

Lol!

It's all about the robot coupe for hollandaise. I can make several quarts in the time it takes me to melt butter.

Jealous of your robot coupe :wub:

I make a quick Hollandaise in the Vitamix by adding melted butter to lemon juice and yolks.