• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova precision app vaporware?

chris_s

But that can be said for any cooking technique but I understand where you're coming from. Another example, SV 140f chicken breast is not always the texture you want from cooked chicken breast

And a lot of home cooks are following a recipe from a book or magazine without a lot of experience

Actually for someone who's never SVed before, the app is great because the recipes are dead simple and a great starting point. I don't want to read through a thousand pages of eG when there's an idiot-proof recipe on the app.

There are better resources than a thousand pages of eGullet if you're just looking for times/temps for SV.

The Cooking Issues Time/Temp SV Charts

The ChefSteps SV Time/Temp guide / PDF version

The ChefSteps Short Ribs Time/Temp guide

Doug Baldwin's Practical Guide to Sous Vide

Vacmaster's Time/Temp Chart

Between these guides, I don't see the need for an app.

Then there are more extensive resources like Modernist Cuisine at Home (which is basically a "Must Buy" if you're going to spend the money on a circulator).

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 1

I see the app more for the home cook that is looking for more than time/temp guides and cooks by recipes in general.

I use these guides but I rarely cook by a recipe. If I'm looking for ideas for dinner I'll google a dish or an ingredient and scan the images for inspiration.

The App is because we live in an App world .

" There's an App for that "

confirms that 'That' is a worthy of your  ( limited ) attention

'Apps for That' has created a billlion + dollar industry

Apps are not good nor bad.

just current

the World went Round and Round before Apps, and might After Apps

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just received a notice that Anova has partnered with Serious Eats and Kenji Lopez-Alt to develop recipes or cooking guides for the app. This is the first time I have looked at the Android App, so don't know if it has advanced much. I just downloaded it and took a quick look, so can't say much about its usefulness. 

http://anovaculinary.com/serious-eats-partnership/

Reviews aren't great at Play Store.  I guess it'll take time to upgrade.

I haven't opened the IOS anova app since I installed it. not sure what use it is, really. I wouldn't change devices because of it

• Like 1