• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Washing homemade cultured butter - improving the process?

Matt Powell

I've made a couple of batches of cultured butter using local grassfed cream and yogurt for fermentation - they've turned out great and the entire process isn't too messy or too much work beyond the washing step.

Currently I use a 16-cup Magimix food processor for the churning, then press by hand using a colander and mixing bowl to get out the buttermilk remnants. This last part requires a good deal of manual labor and to be honest I'm never 100% comfortable that I got enough buttermilk out to stop it from going rancid. Hasn't been an issue yet but the butter also gets parceled out between myself and a couple of friends and disappears quickly.

I'm wondering if anyone has experimented with other ways of washing the butter - I was thinking of draining the buttermilk from the processor, adding back a quantity of water and running again, emptying and repeating the process several times. 

Either that, or switch to using a stand mixer for the process and doing this with the paddle attachment rather than relying on the food processor vortex.

I've never had problems washing butter. Just swish around in cold water until the water runs clear. It's about as strenuous as washing rice. I don't see how a mixer would help. The biggest part of it is draining and refilling the water which seems harder using a machine.

If, as you say, you're using the butter in a matter of weeks, there shouldn't be any concerns about rancidity.

PS: I am a guy.

I've been making butter for decades. 

After draining and SAVING the buttermilk - I use it in baking - add back at least that amount of water - cold - run the mixer for 2 minutes

Drain

repeat two more times and then press out the remaining liquid.

use a board over the sink with a slight tilt to allow drainage  and two "butter pats"  paddles that are grooved to facilitate drainage.

Photos of the entire process on my blog.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Yes, speed 4.  And you can use your hands - wear gloves - or you can use a rolling pin - the French type or the plain cylinders, press and roll it away from you, fold it with a bench scraper or similar tool.  Periodically dip your hands in cold water.

You can also put it in cheesecloth (the fine weave butter muslin) and squeeze it while it hangs above the sink. 

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

I made butter today following the instructions on Andie's blog and using the Thermomix. It turned out great. I had just shy of a litre of cream and got 12 ounces of butter. I used Maldon salt which I squished in using my gloved hands. Very nice clean taste.

• Like 1

I've made a couple of batches of cultured butter using local grassfed cream and yogurt for fermentation

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

There are different ways of tweaking the flavor of butter besides culturing the cream.  Adding a pinch of a particular type of cheese, dried and finely grated or ground and allowing it to "bloom" in the cream overnight at room temp, can produce flavors much like some of the European specialty cultured butters.

I have used at various times, Romano, Sap Sago, Asiago and even a blue cheese - I cut a thin slice, dried it in the dehydrator and ground it very fine.

These are not the same as "composed" butters in which the additions are made after the butter has been churned.  Those flavors are much stronger while the flavor of the butter churned with flavored cream is much more subtle.