• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Giving prison food a whole new meaning

Anna N

A few British prisons are now offering the general public an opportunity to enjoy a Michelin-worthy meal.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/feature/20141219-the-latest-uk-dining-hotspot-prison

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Good for them.

But no wine to be seen....

But I think if you look through the photographs there is one that I thought was a bar.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I looked hard at that...don't know.  No wine in sight on tables. Hmmm

Further research suggests that, indeed alcohol, is not an option. Makes sense from the prisons' point of view if not from the diners'.

My 2004 eG Blog

So why do we need wine to make a good dinner? I dont.  We have an alcohol free night club here in Sweden, I find such thing great.

I find this an excellent idea, great that get to do something positive with their time and a chance to get away from friends and surroundings that ended them up in jail in the first when they get out.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Cape Town has had a restaurant at the high security Pollsmoor prison for many years, but I doubt it is in any way close to Michelin stared. Here is a short article on it (to get the prices in US $, divide by 11): http://www.capetownmagazine.com/pollsmoor-restaurant

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Cape Town has had a restaurant at the high security Pollsmoor prison for many years, but I doubt it is in any way close to Michelin stared. Here is a short article on it (to get the prices in US $, divide by 11): http://www.capetownmagazine.com/pollsmoor-restaurant

Interesting although the article's suggestion of asking your waiter what he is in for seems a bit gauche. Still I would hope not too many of us could brag that we had eaten in a maximum security penitentiary and the menu certainly offers lots of choices. It's curious that dinner is not offered as the hours of service seem to end mid-afternoon. Or is it perhaps that the South African custom is to eat one's main meal at midday?

My 2004 eG Blog

Interesting although the article's suggestion of asking your waiter what he is in for seems a bit gauche. Still I would hope not too many of us could brag that we had eaten in a maximum security penitentiary and the menu certainly offers lots of choices. It's curious that dinner is not offered as the hours of service seem to end mid-afternoon. Or is it perhaps that the South African custom is to eat one's main meal at midday?

Anna, it is a maximum security prison and the object is to try and teach prisoners a trade as most of the prisoners have never worked before - they are more from a gangster background than anything else. They eat their evening meal at 4pm and lockdown is at 5pm, so the restaurant closes early. South African custom is normally a main meal in the evening.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.