• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dried fig cakes

Franci

Pan de higos, lonzino di fichi or fig salame. I love to eat them with cheese. I have already googled for recipes. Do you know other less known fig "cakes", what kind of figs do you prefer? Favourite recipes or anything to share on the subject?

I adore dried figs and will look up recipes under those titles.  I think I've had a fresh fig only a few times in my life and we certainly don't get them in our small Ontario city which is nearby the farm. 

What I do use figs for all the time is the breakfast bars I make taken from Power Hungry: The Ultimate Energy Bar Cookbook by Camilla Saulsbury. 

ps.  I don't have the book with me but the recipe is called Citrus-Seed-Bars or something like that.  I don't have the recipe with me either which was exceedingly short-sighted of me.

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I make several fig "confections"  with dried figs and nuts - recently made "sugarplums" with dried "blonde" figs and pistachios with toasted coconut.

I put the fig and nuts through a meat grinder to get the desired texture (nothing else works as well) and then press the sticky balls into the coconut flakes. 

Just Google Dried fig confections or bars and you should get plenty of ideas. 

Dried figs and apples with walnuts is another good combo.

Dried fig "jam" cooked in lapsang souchong tea - brewed strong - will give you a smoky fig paste that you can mix with chopped nuts or ??

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Darienne, I still don't have the book but I tried many recipes online from the Power Hungry book. I'll definitely look for the one you mentioned.   I'm so picky about fresh figs, that I cannot even think of buying a store bought fig, they just don't compare. But dried figs it's different.

Thanks Andie, I already saw your beautiful sugar plums, but I have more in mind the cakes or bars you can serve with cheese, so definitely no coconut.

The fig and tea idea is great and I will keep it in mind!

Edited by Franci (log)

Here is a link to "Larabars"  options, with plenty of variations.

Somewhere I have a recipe for dried fig and quince "sheets" which is a jam-like confection that is spread on parchment, about 1/4 inch thick and allowed to "dry"  and then cut into triangles or strips to be served with cheeses and crostini. 

I don't recall that it needs any jelling agent, but I might be wrong. 

To store I rolled it with the parchment paper and placed the rolls in ziplock bags so it wouldn't dry out. 

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Moab has blue skies and red rocks...it doesn't have figs except for those in the Sun-Maid re-sealable paks.  But still I am going to make Pan de higos in the next few days.  Looks so good.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks! I really like the idea of making sheets of fig paste.

BTW, some time ago, I've asked in Kitchen Consumer about a hand cranked mill for making almond flour. I ended up buying this Westmark grater and it is brilliant at grinding dried fruit, I LOVE it.

I adore dried figs and will look up recipes under those titles.  I think I've had a fresh fig only a few times in my life and we certainly don't get them in our small Ontario city which is nearby the farm. 

What I do use figs for all the time is the breakfast bars I make taken from Power Hungry: The Ultimate Energy Bar Cookbook by Camilla Saulsbury. 

ps.  I don't have the book with me but the recipe is called Citrus-Seed-Bars or something like that.  I don't have the recipe with me either which was exceedingly short-sighted of me.

If you are driving between Ontario and Utah when my tree is producing we will have to arrange a meet-up. I had many more than I could use this year and would be so pleased to share.

• Like 1