• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freeze and reheat - cheese sauce

Simon Lewinson

Hi, I have been "volunteered" to cook Xmas dinner for 30 people in a kitchen that is minimalist and extremely small. The menu includes cauliflower with cheese sauce and I was planning to make the cheese sauce in advance, vacuum pack it and possibly freeze it. It is a conventional white sauce made from a roux, white wine, milk and cheese. It will be thawed and used to top the blanched cauliflower before baking.

Any gotchas or suggestions?

Thanks

Simon

Even without the freezing question ( I suggest you make a small sample and freeze it as a test, it should be ok, but different types and brands of cheese can act differently) the baking part worries me. Even if it were made fresh, I'd worry about the sauce getting watery during baking. This project is similar to making macaroni and cheese, except that cauliflower won't act like macaroni. Can you assemble the sauce and fully cook the cauliflower offsite, then mix and place in a chafing dish to keep warm?

Toots is a big fan of cauliflower, and she likes it with cheese sauce.  I tried preparing the sauce and freezing some of it (we like leftovers) and it didn't work out very well.  The texture left much to be desired - it wasn't smooth and creamy as when it was just made.  We used a sheep's milk cheese, and maybe that had something to do with the result.

... Shel

Even without the freezing question ( I suggest you make a small sample and freeze it as a test, it should be ok, but different types and brands of cheese can act differently) the baking part worries me. Even if it were made fresh, I'd worry about the sauce getting watery during baking. This project is similar to making macaroni and cheese, except that cauliflower won't act like macaroni. Can you assemble the sauce and fully cook the cauliflower offsite, then mix and place in a chafing dish to keep warm?

Lisa, prefabrication is out of the question as I live 4 hours drive from where the dinner will be held and I am travelling down 5 days ahead of time. I have made it before and not had issues with baking it as it is more to heat it through and brown the top.

Simon

Toots is a big fan of cauliflower, and she likes it with cheese sauce.  I tried preparing the sauce and freezing some of it (we like leftovers) and it didn't work out very well.  The texture left much to be desired - it wasn't smooth and creamy as when it was just made.  We used a sheep's milk cheese, and maybe that had something to do with the result.

Was this also a roux based sauce?

I've had very good results freezing the Modernist Cuisine Mac&Cheese sauce (actually, a nacho cheese sauce variant with chopped roasted jalapenos).  265g liquid (water, milk, cream, beer, etc.), 285g cheese, 11g sodium citrate.

• Like 1

Was this also a roux based sauce?

I've had very good results freezing the Modernist Cuisine Mac&Cheese sauce (actually, a nacho cheese sauce variant with chopped roasted jalapenos).  265g liquid (water, milk, cream, beer, etc.), 285g cheese, 11g sodium citrate.

Unfortunately I live out in the sticks and cannot readily get modernist ingredients. Will try to get some for the future.

Simon

Simon, what do you mean by a 'minimalist' kitchen? I ask because if you don't think you will have enough burners, can you take a cheapy induction burner along?

I gather you are already going to cook the cauliflower on site? How long does it take to make your cheese sauce (I am guessing that should actually be rather quick - though perhaps grating the cheese is the longest and messiest job?) Maybe you can either just make the sauce the day before and refrigerate, rather than freeze, or can you make beurre manie ahead of time and freeze that so you can more quickly make the sauce on site rather than trying to make the entire sauce and freeze it?

Edited by Deryn (log)

Hi, Simon.

Their have been some very good thoughts and suggestions in your thread.

I just thought I would add one about processed cheese, like a good quality American. I usually add some to my mac and cheese, and always, if it will be frozen. The resulting sauce is smother and creamier, initially, and especially after it's frozen and reheated, as opposed to a sauce of 100% natural cheese(s).

I believe whatever they do to "process" the cheese accounts for this in the same way as the addition of sodium citrate to the Modernist version.

I second the suggestions to test your recipe ahead of time to see what freezing does to it. If your worried about getting burned out on cauliflower so close to the date, you could use broccoli or some other vegetable.

A critical step for success of your dish will be draining your cauliflower very well before combining with the sauce. I find that just draining hot broccoli in a colander results in watered down cheese sauce every time. It holds a lot of liquid in the interstices of the florets.

I drain it well, then return it to the still hot pot it was cooked in over the turned off burner it was cooked on for a few minutes. I found it eliminates that problem by evaporating excess water.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

Simon, what do you mean by a 'minimalist' kitchen? I ask because if you don't think you will have enough burners, can you take a cheapy induction burner along?I gather you are already going to cook the cauliflower on site? How long does it take to make your cheese sauce (I am guessing that should actually be rather quick - though perhaps grating the cheese is the longest and messiest job?) Maybe you can either just make the sauce the day before and refrigerate, rather than freeze, or can you make beurre manie ahead of time and freeze that so you can more quickly make the sauce on site rather than trying to make the entire sauce and freeze it?

Deryn, the kitchen has almost no bench space for preparation and a very small stove. Space, equipment and preparation time are the challenges that I face. Biggest of all is the lack of oven space for cooking followed by no equipment and few ingredients. Vegetables and potatoes will take up most of the oven space, and one BBQ will probably be used as a food warmer and warm storage.

I am trying to remove as many variables as possible by doing the prep at home before traveling down. Fridge space is also an issue so I need to condense as much as possible beforehand. I plan to sous vide the turkey and other meats so that they can be warmed / crisped up in the BBQ.

Simon

I believe whatever they do to "process" the cheese accounts for this in the same way as the addition of sodium citrate to the Modernist version.

Great idea! I will add some processed cheese slices to help with the texture.

I don't have much time for freeze testing as I will be leaving home on Sunday to travel down.

Simon

I wish you well, Simon. I am sure it will be a delicious dinner and you will manage well - I just hope you get time to enjoy it too!

I once catered a wedding for 200 out of a motel room kitchenette - in one day - and no, I didn't serve just potato chips and dip. There was everything from poached salmon, Swedish meatballs, rumaki to shrimp cocktail and several types of other (home made) baked hors d'oeuvres. That was not a fun event, though it was successful and I got through it (with no sleep). It can be done - but, I am not sure it 'should' be done! On the other hand, it certainly cured me (of volunteering to take on way too much alone under extremely bad conditions).

On the other hand, I had no one to ask to 'borrow' fridge or stove space, or even to bring along a cauliflower dish for me. You are having 30 people to this dinner? And none of them live nearby and have kitchens?

Edited by Deryn (log)

Cheese sauce easily has a week or more of shelf life in the fridge. I'd just make it now, reheat it in a pot of boiling water at the kitchen, then mix and a quick broil to brown the top should suffice.

Well, that was just too darn obvious for words! Will make and vacuum seal it today before I leave.

Simon

Made a batch using my normal recipe using 30% plastic-cheese and 70% cheddar cheese. I was impressed with the texture difference - much more silky and better emulsification. I am looking forward to seeing how well it performs on the cauliflower on Xmas day.

Thanks for the help.

Simon