• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Combining Eggs and Sugar

Shel_B

In another discussion, it was said that if one leaves the yolks and sugar together too long before blending and adding the other ingredients, that can lead to graininess. The sugar kind of "burns" the yolks.

This is new news to me, but I've not baked and made desserts a lot.  Is this true?  Does the same thing happen when combining whole eggs with sugar?  How long is "too long?"  What does it actually mean to burn the yolk?

At this point I'm mostly making curd and puddings, and some quick breads, like banana bread.

... Shel

Not sure about the chemistry, but you'll end  up with lumps of super-coagulated yolk if you leave them without mixing.  It's one of the first things that gets drilled into you when learning pastry.

OK, but what about when adding sugar to beaten eggs containing both yolk and white?  I often use whole eggs in my recipes.

... Shel

Sucks the moisture right out of those little yellow devils thus allowing the proteins to bind. Try burying an egg yolk in sugar for a few days (in the fridge) and take a peak at what you get.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.