• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Milk Math: Mixing Different Fat Content Milk

Shel_B

There are two recipes I want to work with, one of which requires 2% milk and the other full-fat milk (4.0%?).  All I have in the fridge is 1% milk and half-and-half.  In what proportions should they be mixed to give an overall fat content of 2% and 4%?  What's the math for determining the proportions?  Thanks!

... Shel

Here's a Pearson Square calculator specifically intended for "milk."

http://www.dairyscience.info/newcalculators/pearson.asp

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I believe I got this chart from Cooks Illustrated but I can't find the link:

To Replace: 1 cup whole milk

* 5⁄8 cup skim milk + 3⁄8 cup half-and-half

* 2⁄3 cup 1% milk + 1⁄3 cup half-and-half

* 3⁄4 cup 2% milk + 1⁄4 cup half-and-half

* 7⁄8 cup skim milk + 1⁄8 cup heavy cream

By the way, whole milk is 3.5%

I don't have a chart for 2%. 

• Like 2

Thinking again about making 2% out of 1% and half-and-half - you could adjust the chart I posted above so that you used 60% of the half-and-half and made up the difference with your 1%. (2 is 57% of 3.5)

I would run to the store and buy 2% and whole milk, because by the time I figured this problem out, all the milk in my fridge would be sour. Or I would just wing it and put a bit of half and half into the 1% to approximate 2% and a bit more half and half in to approximate 3.5% unless it was a modernist cuisine recipe.

Edited by Deryn (log)

I would run to the store and buy 2% and whole milk, because by the time I figured this problem out, all the milk in my fridge would be sour. Or I would just wing it and put a bit of half and half into the 1% to approximate 2% and a bit more half and half in to approximate 3.5% unless it was a modernist cuisine recipe.

What percentages would you use to wing it?

... Shel

I believe I got this chart from Cooks Illustrated but I can't find the link:

To Replace: 1 cup whole milk

* 5⁄8 cup skim milk + 3⁄8 cup half-and-half

* 2⁄3 cup 1% milk + 1⁄3 cup half-and-half

* 3⁄4 cup 2% milk + 1⁄4 cup half-and-half

* 7⁄8 cup skim milk + 1⁄8 cup heavy cream

By the way, whole milk is 3.5%

I don't have a chart for 2%. 

Thanks so much for posting the chart.  I found the original at CI:  http://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5524-how-to-substitute-dairy-products?incode=MCSCZ00L0 for those who have access and wish to look it up themselves.  It has much more info than what you posted here.  I'll be happy to share the chart ... just PM me and it'll be on its way.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel