• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dehydrators for cocoa butter

gfron1

There's a lot of info about using dehydrators in the various chocolate threads, but I'm running into recurring issues so I thought I'd focus the topic a bit.

I bought a new Cabella's large dehydrator with digital control and glass door. Seems perfect except for it is in Fahrenheit only and can't be switched to Celsius. This is the second time I've used it in preparation for spraying my molds. I turned it on last night at 32ºC and ran it for 12 hours. The cocoa butter was rock hard - all of my bottles and custom mixes. So I turned it up to 40º and its been running 6 hours, and they are half melted.

I thought I just needed to go long enough at 32 to have it be perfect and ready for spraying. I have tested the temperature with my infrared and the temp is reading as accurate. Am I doing something wrong? I don't want to have to re-temper my CB every time.

Some colors take more heat than others. I would turn it to about 92-95. I have had butter floating on top, given it a shake and all is well. Don't over think it:)

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Thanks guys. Ruth, I'm trying to recreate JMA's system which was to leave it at 34º non-stop, but I can't get it to melt that low. I just checked (9 hrs) and at 40º I am melted and have dropped it to 32º, but that's not how I understood that they did it. Why wouldn't  the CB just melt given enough time at 32º?

One of my favorite "must have" chocolate melting equipment items is an electric blanket.

The kind drug stores sell for around  $25.00.  "Low" setting is usually around 32 C. 

Very handy--and--you can even take it bed with you.....

Edited by Edward J (log)
  • Like 1

I am probably in the minority, but I just don't worry about the temp or temper. I actually want it on the warm side or I am reheating the gun constantly.Yesterday, we sprayed 70 molds with several colors each, using 8 colors. Non of them stuck. I set my dehydrator to 95 and let it go all night. In the morning, there will be a layer of melted butter on top. I give it a good shake and start spraying. If we are swiping the color, I am more careful.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Thanks guys. Ruth, I'm trying to recreate JMA's system which was to leave it at 34º non-stop, but I can't get it to melt that low. I just checked (9 hrs) and at 40º I am melted and have dropped it to 32º, but that's not how I understood that they did it. Why wouldn't  the CB just melt given enough time at 32º?

Cause beta crystals are still solid at 32ºC - softer but still solid.  

• Like 1

Not to highjack this or anything but Kerry do you happen to know any really in depth books or websites about chocolate explaining in great detail how everything works and the science behind it?

"If you can crack an egg one-handed, you'll have no problems undoing a brassiere." -Newfie saying

Not to highjack this or anything but Kerry do you happen to know any really in depth books or websites about chocolate explaining in great detail how everything works and the science behind it?

Beckett is my go to.

• Like 1

Chocolate, including cocoa butter, can be at 32C and still be solid - try leaving your melt tank at working temp and see what temperature and form the chocolate is the next day (hint: 32C and a solid, due to crystals continuously forming at the working temperature)! So you have to set the temp higher than the melting point, as you found. I personally just set it to 45C and forget it, then stir it down to 31-32C and spray. The stirring step takes <5 minutes. If I'm using a finger to apply to colour, I will use it right when it gets to 32C.

Edit: hah, should have read the thread properly before posting. Kerry beat me by a number of days :P

Edited by keychris (log)
  • Like 2

Chocolate, including cocoa butter, can be at 32C and still be solid - try leaving your melt tank at working temp and see what temperature and form the chocolate is the next day (hint: 32C and a solid, due to crystals continuously forming at the working temperature)! So you have to set the temp higher than the melting point, as you found. I personally just set it to 45C and forget it, then stir it down to 31-32C and spray. The stirring step takes <5 minutes. If I'm using a finger to apply to colour, I will use it right when it gets to 32C.

Edit: hah, should have read the thread properly before posting. Kerry beat me by a number of days :P

However - you expressed it far more eloquently!