• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezer-burn proof, individually frozen chicken breasts?

gfweb

I saw a bag of breasts at costco that must've been 10lbs and had the breasts rattling around in there unwrapped. Instant freezer burn, right? Apparently not. The bag said that they were glazed with a 15% salt soln and that they wouldn't burn if stored loose.

What's going on here?

I lot of stuff that's IQF (Individually Quick Frozen) has the glaze.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

They keep pretty well in the freezer. My dog doesn't complain (although I personally think that, with the salt solution ice glaze and the brine in the meat, there is a lot of salt added). And when it comes to value for money, I do wonder if the ice doesn't weigh more than a plastic wrap might.

Edited by Deryn (log)

I'm lucky enough to live within range of Wegmans, where the "club pack" of chicken breasts are individually vacuum-sealed. We cut them apart on the dotted lines, put the individual breasts (still sealed) into a ziplock bag that we label and date, and toss the whole thing into the freezer. It's easy to pull out and quick-thaw as many as you need, although lately the ones we've gotten are so giant that one breast feeds both of us. My MIL is quite envious of the packaging, since all she can get is a massive pack where if you toss it in the freezer, you'll get a giant single unit.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

The glaze...it keeps air away so there's no oxidation or dehydration.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

As others have noted, "glazing" is a fairly common method, and has been around for quite some time, particularily with seafood, ie: whole head/off salmon, iqf prawns and shrimp, and 5 lb blocks of whole prawns. 

You can view this as "enviromentally friendly", as it uses very little packaging; plain old cheap, as it uses very little packaging; convenient, as you only need to pull out of the package what you want, no need to defrost the whole package; very sneaky as it increases the weight, and you are buying by weight, sneaky in that you are buying larger packages which you might not use up in a reasonable time; all of the above, or non of the above.

What's more of interest to me, is if the said chix brsts have an "ingredient list".  That is, if they are "flavor enhanced", or pumped with a protein solution, usually in the area of 15-20%.

If you dont want the extra ice cost buy these unfrozen individually wrapped breasts http://www.blisstree.com/files/2008/01/2.jpg and freeze them..

Aldi also has frozen glazed chicken breasts, I tried them once has anyone else had them?

We bought some on sale a few months ago not realizing they were glazed.  (Not Perdue brand, some Canadian mass brand instead.)  They were all right -- would not use them in anything that features the taste and texture of a really good chicken breast.  But as inexpensive, quick, easy to use protein food, they were acceptable. 

• 2 weeks later...