• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best method to cook boudin noir...?

TicTac

Boudin Noir.

I searched and couldn't find any threads that discuss the best method to prepare this sausage (not the mixed with rice variety, this one is mostly blood with some extra fat added).

I recently purchased some from my butcher and neglected to ask how he suggested to cook the beasts and though I have enjoyed it many times, this will be my first time preparing it.  Initial thought was to cut them into discs and saute.

Many thanks.

Edited by TicTac (log)

There isn't much discussion about it here...yet! These links may provide some useful information; not all of the posts refer to the boudin noir with rice:

British Black Pudding (blood cake, boudin noir)

Boudin question

Meanwhile, let's hope someone comes along who can give you direct advice. Good luck!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

A combination of my own devising, of which I am rather fond.  For two servings, take:

• two thickish (say 2 - 3cm) slices of boudin noir/black pudding
  • a tomato, roughly the same diameter as the sausage, halved horizontally (ie perpendicular to the stalk end)
  • two slices or chunks of halloumi to roughly match the size of the sausage and tomato (size really isn't critical; just use what you have)

Fry all of the above in butter, turning the halloumi until it's nicely browned on all sides (just flip the other two a couple of times, and give the tomato a sprinkle of salt and a grind of black pepper).  Serve in a stack (if it will all stay upright - if not, don't worry about it); sausage on the bottom, then tomato (with a basil leaf if you have one), then the halloumi.

When eating, try to get a bit of everything in each mouthful.

I find sausages from different producers vary considerably in size and shape - some are 'normal' sausage-shaped; some much fatter.  They all work for this!

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

A combination of my own devising, of which I am rather fond.  For two servings, take:

• two thickish (say 2 - 3cm) slices of boudin noir/black pudding
  • a tomato, roughly the same diameter as the sausage, halved horizontally (ie perpendicular to the stalk end)
  • two slices or chunks of halloumi to roughly match the size of the sausage and tomato (size really isn't critical; just use what you have)

Fry all of the above in butter, turning the halloumi until it's nicely browned on all sides (just flip the other two a couple of times, and give the tomato a sprinkle of salt and a grind of black pepper).  Serve in a stack (if it will all stay upright - if not, don't worry about it); sausage on the bottom, then tomato (with a basil leaf if you have one), then the halloumi.

When eating, try to get a bit of everything in each mouthful.

I find sausages from different producers vary considerably in size and shape - some are 'normal' sausage-shaped; some much fatter.  They all work for this!

Ended up grilling 1/3 inch discs of sausage - think slighly overcooked.  Did not care for the bits of fat unrendered in it, but the rest tasted good.

I will try the above with some mexican queso fresco I have on hand.

Thanks

Won't queso fresco just melt in the pan? Halloumi is a non-melting cheese.

When I buy boudin noir, it's usually in regular hog casings. Rather than slice it, I just keep it whole. Brown it on one side in a cast-iron skillet, flip it over and throw it in a medium oven to heat through. Serve with potatoes - I typical do pommes purées, but lately I've been digging rösti - and sauteed apples.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Aha! Boudin noir, black puddings, blood sausage, morcilla, blutwurst, more I'm sure. Many styles. My preferences; Irish blood puddings sliced about 1/2 inch thick sauteed until crisp on the cut sides. Spanish morcilla grilled or in a dish called fabada asturiana. French boudin noir sauteed with sauteed apples.

Heaven!

I've only tried boudin noir that's quite soft when raw--made only from blood, pork, pork fat, panade and seasonings. I got the recipe at a cooking demo, had great plans to make the sausage at home, but none of that ever happened. This particular sausage was so soft that I would not slice and  grill it before cooking it.

I was told to poach the sausage in simmering salted water until it reaches an internal temp of 140F. The chef made an estimate of 20 mins cooking time for water at 170F. The sausage should still be a little soft when done, not hard. Then the sausage can be grilled slowly over medium heat to brown it.

I've eaten boudin noir with homemade sauerkraut--really liked that.

Like Matt, I keep them whole (boudin noir is usually packed fairly loose so you couldn't cut it into slices anyway, it would just fall apart completely if you tried). Before cooking them I poke them with a toothpick or a fork so they don't explode later. I sear them in a hot pan with a little bit of oil, then I turn the heat down and cook them for a few minutes until they are cooked through. Delicious with a side of apples caramelized in butter and sugar.