• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maddening marketing

heidih

I was flipping through some magazines a friend gave me and did a double take on this print ad. Before I saw the Lays logo the packaging flashed me immediately to Pepperidge Farms cookies. ( they fueled my college studying) I thought "Hmm what is a crinkle cut cookie?". A cursory check shows Pepperidge Farms owned by Campbell Soup and Lays by PepsiCo so no affiliation. Am I a nutter? Does it bother you when they seem to be manipulating us like this? 

photo 1 (12).JPG

photo 2 (9).JPG

I'm unsure of what you're describing.  Are you suggesting that the potato chip package reminds you of Pepperidge Farm cookies?  If so, I don't see it ... just looks like a pkg of chips to me.  And if it does remind you of PF cookies, might that just be your perception rather than Lays manipulating you/us?   In what way do you see this as being manipulative?  I'm just not getting it ....

... Shel

I see the similarity. It looks as though the Lays marketers (packagers? artists?) stole^W borrowed heavily from the Pepperidge Farms package design. It doesn't trip my trigger quite so quickly as Heidi's, but what DOES trip my trigger is this: I'm willing to bet that these 'designer' chips have a huge markup compared to their less exotic cousins. The package is intended to justify the markup. Grr.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Oh, c'mon...manipulating????

A white background and the chips below the text instead of cookies.....that's about all they have in common.

Sausalito are my favorite!  :wink:

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Other than the white background, it's consistent with most of Lay's recent packaging,

https://www.google.com/search?q=lays+potato+chips&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=uwQuVP7WE9DOaOv2gdAI&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=955

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Well I am old so "Lay's recent packaging" is not on my horizon. I spoke of a gut feeling prompted by, what to me was a fairly intense visual similarity to a product from (now I realize) the 70's (older than I thought I was). It made me go back and look at the ad. I never do that. So, for me, and I am obviously a minority of one, it was significant. This time, really walking away. 

Have you been denying yourself Pepperidge Farms cookies...is that what sparked this?  :wink:

I have a feeling that Pepperidge Farm cookies wasn't on their radar, but upstarts like this: http://www.foodshouldtastegood.com/products/tortilla probably were.

That is an even closer similarity.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown