• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gadget Needed - for prying vacuum lid off mason jars

Kerry Beal

Following the advice of dbinokc over in the freeze drier thread - I've been vacuum sealing shut mason jars full of freeze dried food.  Of course I like to access those jars then vacuum seal the caps back on.  

I've found the church key I own to be causing damage to both the lids and the jars so I'm now in search of something that will pry off the metal lid and leave it in reasonable condition to reseal.

Couple of things I've found with potential - this Miracle Vacuum Jar Cap Lifter and these hand made Elegant Wooden bottle openers.  

Both would be a bit expensive to get my hands on here in Canada - though the Elegant Wooden bottle opener would be quite easy to copy if I could just figure out where the metal piece comes from (Lee Valley doesn't seen to have it).  

I'll of course be watching thrift stores for the Miracle Vacuum Jar Cap lifter - I've probably picked them up and returned them to the bin over the years with out realizing what they were.

Any other things that would work that I might not be considering?  Thoughts on the two items I've found?

I doubt you'll find an opener that works well...metal lids are so flimsy.

You may wish to consider Tattler reusable lids.

They're easy to pop off without damage and reusable many times.

I use them almost every day,

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Looking closely at the Miracle Vacuum Jar Cap Lifter, looks like that was designed for the old style jelly jars that aren't even used any more...I can't see it working with a Mason jar lid.

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I doubt you'll find an opener that works well...metal lids are so flimsy.

You may wish to consider Tattler reusable lids.

They're easy to pop off without damage and reusable many times.

I use them almost every day,

Interesting - are they glass?

Can you just puncture a small hole on the lid, Scotch tape it the next time you need to vacuum and seal?

dcarch

I've seen that suggested before - never tried it.

No, they're BPA-free plastic and a rubber seal.

They're intended to be reused several times on pressure canned jars...they'll last a very long time for dry goods.

Are you using regular size Mason Jars?

I'd be happy to send you a couple to try....would postage be crazy?

No, they're BPA-free plastic and a rubber seal.

They're intended to be reused several times on pressure canned jars...they'll last a very long time for dry goods.

Are you using regular size Mason Jars?

I'd be happy to send you a couple to try....would postage be crazy?

I use both the narrow mouth and wide mouth mason jars - I have several dozen of them sealed at any given time.  Are they available in stores?  I'll be down in Buffalo on Wednesday so could look for them there.   

Looks like the website you linked to is Canadian - I should be able to get my hands on them easily here.  

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I have a Zyliss thingy I've had for maybe thirty years.  It works for me.  Very well made.  Unfortunately I don't know what it's called.

Love to see a picture.

I just looked at the retail locator on the manufacturers website....nothing in Buffalo, but they're available in Mississauga and Markham, ON.

http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/Home.html

I just looked at the retail locator on the manufacturers website....nothing in Buffalo, but they're available in Mississauga and Markham, ON.

http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/Home.html

Both pretty close.  

I use a baby boa constrictor jar opener, those are ace and dont damage the lid or the jar.

Oh I just got to know they are also called strap wrench

Edited by CatPoet (log)

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Ah ha - just went and looked at the pryer on the swing-away - it's got that lovely flat piece - should work without mangling the lids as long as the hooky bit doesn't mangle the edge.

But just noticed I have two of these in the chocolate room for opening pails - they worked beautifully even on the smaller lids.

IMG_1642.jpg

• Like 1

To lift the lid, for a typical mason jar, at sea level atmospheric pressure, you need to overcome about 88 lbs of total force. Very easy to damage the lid.

The only way to relieve the 88 lbs is to puncture a pin hole on the lid.

dcarch

I just use the backside of a table knife - slide it into the space between the lid and the spot where the threads are closest to the lid and gently pry up.

I have been using this method for about 60 years as it was the same thing my grandma did and I have never found the need to use any "gadget" for this purpose.

And some of the lids can really become cemented onto the jars with extremely sticky stuff when the rims have not been sufficiently cleaned...

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I just use the backside of a table knife - slide it into the space between the lid and the spot where the threads are closest to the lid and gently pry up.

[...]

And some of the lids can really become cemented onto the jars with extremely sticky stuff when the rims have not been sufficiently cleaned...

I have been using the same technique for decades.  Sometimes, if a knife isn't handy, I may use a coin.  Also, gently tapping the rim of a jar against the counter can help break the seal.

As noted, it's helpful to really clean the lids well. 

• Like 1

... Shel

I have been using the same technique for decades.  Sometimes, if a knife isn't handy, I may use a coin.  Also, gently tapping the rim of a jar against the counter can help break the seal.

As noted, it's helpful to really clean the lids well. 

When I was in the Army and would receive a "care package" from home with canned stuff (usually jam or jelly) I would use a dog tag.  Those things came in handy for lots of little tasks like subbing for a screw driver, etc.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

When I was in the Army and would receive a "care package" from home with canned stuff (usually jam or jelly) I would use a dog tag.  Those things came in handy for lots of little tasks like subbing for a screw driver, etc.

<LOL>  Your comment brought back a memory of my childhood.  In grade school, we had to wear dog tags due, of course, to the perceived threats of attack by our cold war enemies.  I used my tags as you did yours - it was as much for identification as it was a simple tool.  http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/that-time-american-school-kids-were-given-dog-tags-beca-508802138

... Shel

Love to see a picture.

Kerry, I understand now that you are using two piece canning lids.  I use one piece lids.  The tool I have would not help with two piece lids.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou