• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Returning things at TJ's

powerdog

We have a new TJs with lots of new employees, and there was some confusion about how to return something.

I had a box of TJ cereal (no receipt) that I brought to the CS desk, and the woman there said to do my shopping and then let the cashier know I'd returned the cereal. When I checked out, I mentioned it but the cashier forgot before she totaled my purchases. So I paid with my debit card, and then she rang her bell to summon the CS manager. Fortunately, the manager was able to come over and remembered me, and I ran my card through the machine a second time for a credit.

They couldn't have been friendlier, but the process seemed a little haphazard. I guess they don't have many returns!

Is the normal procedure to hand the item and receipt to the cashier when you check out?

At the TJ's that we frequent, we bring the returns to the checkout stand along with our purchases, and a credit is issued at the register at time of purchase.  A manager, in response to a signal, does come over to authorize the transaction.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

the one and only time I had to return something, I took it to the courtesy stand/CS area, and they gave me my credit slip. I then went ahead with my shopping. What if, for example, you only came to the store to return an item, you wouldn't get to the checkout line at all. And frankly, considering my ability to forget things 15 minutes later, I'd likely buy my groceries and totally forget to mention the credit being due to me.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

The manager asked if I needed to shop, so she might have given me a credit slip if I'd said no. But since she might have gone on break or been called away, I'll just try to remember to keep my receipt and take returns to the checkout.

if you are not shopping, they will give you cash at the 'stand'  they used to use a slip of paper but that's changed so they can scan the item at check out if you are shopping.

they have never needed a Receipt  

I've never had any problem returning things to TJs, no matter what the item - returned some peaches with two that had been cut in half, showing a black area around the pits in both with one pit split and obvious fungus extruding.

The manager called the produce person who came, took the peaches and said they would pull the entire batch to check samples before selling any more.  They just gave me cash as I had paid with a debit card.

They have always been courteous, helpful and apologetic, which is how they keep their customers. 

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett