• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weak Baking Powder

Shel_B

A recent batch of biscuits didn't rise as much as expected, and upon checking the baking powder, found that it seemed weak.  I say seem because I never tested baking powder before, and have no experience with the resultant reaction. I've only seen pictures and videos.

So, considering that the powder is weak, could I just increase the amount in the recipe, say from11/2 tsp to 3 tsp.  If I do that, would there be a need to change the amount of baking soda in a recipe that calls for both?  Finally, might I expect the addition of more powder to affect the taste of the final product compared to fresh powder of the same brand?

Thanks!

... Shel

I think I'd buy new powder.

It is only going to get weaker as it ages.

Well, yes, but that's not the point of my questions.

There I am, about to bake, and the powder seems weak.  I don't want to leave the house and go to the store - heck, considering the hours I keep, there may not even be a store open.  So, my questions still stand ...

... Shel

Buy new! 

I know  people who are used to  brightly coloured sweets and other food chems cant taste  over use of baking powder, but there are still some who can.  I can and it one of the more horrid taste  you can get in cookies and cakes.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

There I am, about to bake, and the powder seems weak.  I don't want to leave the house and go to the store - heck, considering the hours I keep, there may not even be a store open.  So, my questions still stand ...

Go to bed.

Interesting that even after you're given the correct answer, your questions still stand.

Why not triple the baking powder and see how your baked products taste?

Why not make sure you have the proper, fresh ingredients on hand before you use them in a recipe?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?