• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold Shrimp Hors D'Oeuvre

Chris Hennes

Interesting about the rice cracker holding up best.  It is of note to me that the batter for the kueh pie tee cups uses rice flour - perhaps at another time, if one has the mold in hand, one could experiment with making thicker cups (thicker batter? more rice flour?) and see how those perform with leaving wet stuff in them for hours.

I buy those Sesmark rice thins myself from time to time and enjoy them thoroughly.  I seem to remember that I've seen them in two sizes (i.e. a bigger one...?) but I may be mistaken.

I think they look great - but if you want a little more gloss at service time, and don't want to take the time to do full assembly at teh last minute, can you put some of the sauce in a disposable pipette and put a few drops on the shrimp right before plating?

ETA: or maybe use a small brush?

Edited by KennethT (log)

I understand.

I know you've already made your mind up, but my next-door neighbor does a fantastic shrimp-on-a-stick version: a blanched snap pea pod and a cooked shrimp, on a toothpick, sprinkled with sesame oil, salt, and black sesame seeds. Tasty and easy!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2